Switch Box Dilemma
Good afternoon folks. - we have a spare bedroom that has an overhead fan with a light.  Both fan and light are on one wall switch and pull chains on the fixture itself.  We are in the process of updating the bedroom so I wanted to replace the one wall switch with a toggle switch for the light and a 3 position fan switch.   I removed the existing switch and box and discovered that there is less than 4" between studs in this particular situation - in other words I am not going to get a 2 gang box in there.

Things I've considered
1.  Turn the 2 gang box sideways so the standard toggle switch operated horizontally - still not enough room for the box
2.  somehow carve a 1/4" pocket in each stud - not sure the old box flip wings would still operate.  I could probably screw the box to the studs.  The whole things sounds messy.
3.  Use a single gang box in the existing position for the light switch  and add a second single gang box 4" or so up from that box for the fan switch.  I drew out the wiring and it would seem to work.  There would be a 3 wire cable between the two boxes, a 2 wire cable as the source into the first box and a 3 wire cable from the second box to the fixture.  In the first box I would jumper the black source to the red 3 wire between boxes and also to the light switch.   The second box would act as a pass through for the two black wires from each of the 3 wire cables.

Am I nuts or is option three reasonable?  Any other options?  I want to minimize dry wall work

Thanks
Rick
Rick

(01-09-2023, 03:33 PM)Rick_B Wrote: Good afternoon folks. - we have a spare bedroom that has an overhead fan with a light.  Both fan and light are on one wall switch and pull chains on the fixture itself.  We are in the process of updating the bedroom so I wanted to replace the one wall switch with a toggle switch for the light and a 3 position fan switch.   I removed the existing switch and box and discovered that there is less than 4" between studs in this particular situation - in other words I am not going to get a 2 gang box in there.

Things I've considered
1.  Turn the 2 gang box sideways so the standard toggle switch operated horizontally - still not enough room for the box
2.  somehow carve a 1/4" pocket in each stud - not sure the old box flip wings would still operate.  I could probably screw the box to the studs.  The whole things sounds messy.
3.  Use a single gang box in the existing position for the light switch  and add a second single gang box 4" or so up from that box for the fan switch.  I drew out the wiring and it would seem to work.  There would be a 3 wire cable between the two boxes, a 2 wire cable as the source into the first box and a 3 wire cable from the second box to the fixture.  In the first box I would jumper the black source to the red 3 wire between boxes and also to the light switch.   The second box would act as a pass through for the two black wires from each of the 3 wire cables.

Am I nuts or is option three reasonable?  Any other options?  I want to minimize dry wall work

Thanks
Rick

How about something like THIS , there are different brands of these but this saves a lot of work and no drywall issues.    Roly
Put the fan switch in a separate box above the light switch. It's simple and Intuitive to use that way.
You can buy remote control units that get wired into the fan housing like this.
(01-09-2023, 05:26 PM)Roly Wrote:  
How about something like THIS , there are different brands of these but this saves a lot of work and no drywall issues.    Roly

Thanks Roly - that looks like just the ticket.  If I'm reading it right the operation is wireless so no cable from the switch to the fixture.  At first it seemed expensive but a quick look indicates that 15' of 14-3 cable is $25 and the rotary switch for fan speed is $14 so you can get to $50 pretty quick with a standard installation.  Plus this old man doesn't need have to crawl around an attic running the cable.  I'm going to give ot a try.  Thanks again

Rick
Rick

This is a much better quality and better looking than those “remotes”.

Comes at higher cost though. 

https://www.lutron.com/en-US/Products/Pa...rview.aspx
here's the one we've got in the sunroom:

Lutron Electronics SFSQ-LF-WH Skylark Fan Control, White - Ceiling Fan Accessories - Amazon.com
You'll find that a lot of the newer, nicer fans can't be wired with 2 switches. The fan functions with an electronic module only operated by the included remote control. When I remodeled the house, I installed 2 switches and 3 wire conductors to all the fan boxes. None of the fans I bought could be wired with a 2 switch system.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

If you were to take out/bypass the remote module in the fan I wonder if you might be able to defer to manual controls...So far I am pleased with the remote in ours.
(01-10-2023, 01:14 PM)brianwelch Wrote: If you were to take out/bypass the remote module in the fan I wonder if you might be able to defer to manual controls...So far I am pleased with the remote in ours.

Apparently you can with some. But the new fans have the dimmer and fan speed control in the same black box. I tried to hack mine. I don't remember the particulars but I couldn't do it.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay