Drilling a Long (12") Hole - Update
Wink 
I am upgrading our main bdrm closet system (new cabinets, shelving, etc.) and planning to add several miniature puck (accent) lights on the bottom (front) side of some of the shelves. In my  OP I was asking how to/best way to drill a straight hole to run lo voltage wire from the back of the shelf (about 12”) and hit the puck light location (see attached link for the OP).

https://forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=7371580

Had some great responses/ideas – but after some thought I came up with what I think is simpler (and more reliable) way to route the wires to the puck lights.

I am using furniture grade ply for the shelves and edge banding the front edges using a matching edge banding router bit set (Whiteside 3400). This results in a convex “V” cut on the front edge of the plywood self and a corresponding concave “V’ on the edging material (Mahogany in my case). I realized by lopping off the end of the concave “V” I could create a channel in which to run wires. Then a short hole from the front of the shelf to the puck. I can run the wire(s) out the sides and up to the top where I am mounting the lo voltage 12Vdc driver.

Good out of the box thinking.

Simon
Very good thinking. I like it.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
(01-10-2023, 08:41 PM)Don_M Wrote: I am upgrading our main bdrm closet system (new cabinets, shelving, etc.) and planning to add several miniature puck (accent) lights on the bottom (front) side of some of the shelves. In my  OP I was asking how to/best way to drill a straight hole to run lo voltage wire from the back of the shelf (about 12”) and hit the puck light location (see attached link for the OP).

Had some great responses/ideas – but after some thought I came up with what I think is simpler (and more reliable) way to route the wires to the puck lights.

I am using furniture grade ply for the shelves and edge banding the front edges using a matching edge banding router bit set (Whiteside 3400). This results in a convex “V” cut on the front edge of the plywood self and a corresponding concave “V’ on the edging material (Mahogany in my case). I realized by lopping off the end of the concave “V” I could create a channel in which to run wires. Then a short hole from the front of the shelf to the puck. I can run the wire(s) out the sides and up to the top where I am mounting the lo voltage 12Vdc driver.

Great idea.
(01-10-2023, 08:41 PM)Don_M Wrote: I am upgrading our main bdrm closet system (new cabinets, shelving, etc.) and planning to add several miniature puck (accent) lights on the bottom (front) side of some of the shelves. In my  OP I was asking how to/best way to drill a straight hole to run lo voltage wire from the back of the shelf (about 12”) and hit the puck light location (see attached link for the OP).

Since this is the underside of the shelf, can't you just route a channel to the back?  It wouldn't be visible, would it?  If you wanted to clean it up visibly, you could even veneer over the channels.

I'm worried that even the best drill press setup is going to end up wandering when you try to drill a full foot down.

Are you set on puck lighting?  A front lip overhang on each shelf can do a great job of hiding an LED strip, which provides more uniform lighting, and less convoluted drilling.  Just a thought.
(01-13-2023, 10:51 AM)jon003 Wrote: Since this is the underside of the shelf, can't you just route a channel to the back?  It wouldn't be visible, would it?  If you wanted to clean it up visibly, you could even veneer over the channels. That would have been "plan B"!!

I'm worried that even the best drill press setup is going to end up wandering when you try to drill a full foot down. Believe it or not they actually make a (expensive) jig for this!! I guess there is a tool for everything!

https://truepositiontools.com/products/c...ight-jigs/

Are you set on puck lighting?  A front lip overhang on each shelf can do a great job of hiding an LED strip, which provides more uniform lighting, and less convoluted drilling.  Just a thought. Thanks - I was looking for something a bit more "focused"
Far be it from me to stand in the way of buying an uncommmon new tool! =)
Good deal Don.........
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020