Washing Machine Standpipes Questions
(01-13-2023, 05:38 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: ... You should be using a lint trap on the discharge hose...

Isn't this something that is typically found in/on the washer where the drain line attaches?
(01-13-2023, 10:41 PM)Woodenfish Wrote: Another thing you might try is a medium-sized rubber drain bladder available Home Depot. Harbor Freight, etc., and blast that clog out of the P-trap. Be sure to turn the water off and let the water drain out of the bladder for a while before removing it.

Thanks, I was not aware of this device.  Definitely worth remembering for the future.

My standpipe is not clogged, though.  I can stick a garden hose in it and run water indefinitely without overflowing.  I can't figure out how to make the garden hose flow fast enough to match the flow rate of the washing machine pump.  

To clarify the problem, I think either the standpipe is restricted (but definitely not clogged) or maybe some of the comments about inadequate venting are still applicable.

Thanks,
Mark
Mark in Sugar Land, TX
Try doing a load on high without any cothes in the washer and use a wet rag to seal the drain when the washer drains to force the water thrugh the pipe at higher flow rate
(01-14-2023, 07:20 AM)KC Wrote: Isn't this something that is typically found in/on the washer where the drain line attaches?

No, on the end of the hose. But they have to be replaced regularly. Like once every couple weeks.

Lint Trap
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

No P trap here, no reason to have one.
The stand pipe, I always fit them down and the washer hose slides over the fitting, then I put a hose clamp on it.
If the gray line does plug somewhere, it cannot leak out the top of the stand pipe.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

If the drains are clear, I would restrict the discharge hose a little. The pump is operating during the entire spin cycle, so restricting the flow a little will only affect the discharge during the first minute or less. The restriction could be as simple as a lint trap or an aluminum "U" shaped tube sold to replace the "U" formed in the original hose. If you seal the hose to the riser, you not only eliminate the function of the trap, but a siphon can/will occur when the washer adds water for the next cycle.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(01-15-2023, 12:03 AM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: If the drains are clear, I would restrict the discharge hose a little. The pump is operating during the entire spin cycle, so restricting the flow a little will only affect the discharge during the first minute or less. The restriction could be as simple as a lint trap or an aluminum "U" shaped tube sold to replace the "U" formed in the original hose. If you seal the hose to the riser, you not only eliminate the function of the trap, but a siphon can/will occur when the washer adds water for the next cycle.

I re-plumbed this house in 1995 and have never had a siphoning problem?
It dumps into a gray water pit 200' from the house, all downhill.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-23-2023, 07:44 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: I re-plumbed this house in 1995 and have never had a siphoning problem?
It dumps into a gray water pit 200' from the house, all downhill.

I would love to have a separate gray water system, but they were not in vogue 25 yrs ago when the house was built.  IMHO, I think all new houses should have them.

Mark
Mark in Sugar Land, TX
(01-25-2023, 09:05 AM)MarkSLSmith Wrote: I would love to have a separate gray water system, but they were not in vogue 25 yrs ago when the house was built.  IMHO, I think all new houses should have them.

Mark

But 50 or 60 years ago it frequently just dumped out onto the lawn. Go back 75 or 80 years and it was still dumped on the lawn but that was because that's where the clothes were being washed. 

My house was built in the 80's and has a grey water system for the washer. Great for the septic system because no bleach was killing the bacteria required for it to function correctly. I do occasionally inspect my septic tank, but it hasn't needed to be pumped for over 10 yr.s. The grey water "dry well" needs to be dug up because the soil is clogged with soap solids though.

Side note; I had a customer that wasn't too fond of emptying the sink strainer ask if a disposal would be bad for the septic system. I told her I think the bacteria in the tank would love some food she hadn't already digested!
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(01-14-2023, 07:20 AM)KC Wrote: Isn't this something that is typically found in/on the washer where the drain line attaches?

Nope. 

I never had one and don’t plan on getting one either.   In fact , until this thread I’d never seen or heard of one.