Ax Handle Question
Question 
One of my good friends likes making ax handles, especially for splitting mauls. He and I both usually use oak, hickory, or locust to make them. He recently ran across a good collection of mulberry and wondered if it would work to make a few handles with it instead.

My reply was that mulberry will not have the density or strength of the other three but I do know that it has good rot resistance, similar to locust. I decide to pose the question here in case you have an opinion or may have tried this already. I believe it's worth a discussion. What says the Forum?
Rolleyes
Rip to width. Plane to thickness. Cut to length. Join.
I don't know; I've never tried.

But I always thought that one of the reasons hickory was favored was the shock absorption abilities of the wood.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
(01-13-2023, 05:14 PM)R Clark Wrote: I don't know; I've never tried.

But I always thought that one of the reasons hickory was favored was the shock absorption abilities of the wood.

Actually, hickory's rigidity might be its greatest asset, not shock absorption. That allows it to hit the target with the greatest speed. Impact equals velocity times mass. The strength to weight ratio of hickory might put it at the top of almost all hardwoods. Flexibility might reduce the final velocity of the head at impact.

Let's keep discussing this.
I use a polished steel rod. It doesn't rust because most of the time it's inside a cylinder filled with hydraulic oil.
Laugh
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
I haven't really been around mulberry wood for decades but if I remember correctly, and I very well may not, it's rather weak, soft, and splintery when it breaks.  I'm going to follow this thread to find out what the consensus is for mulberry.
(01-14-2023, 08:20 AM)pgmrdan Wrote: I haven't really been around mulberry wood for decades but if I remember correctly, and I very well may not, it's rather weak, soft, and splintery when it breaks.  I'm going to follow this thread to find out what the consensus is for mulberry.

I have to agree with the weakness, softness, and ease of breaking. It's just not tough enough for an ax handle or a splitting maul. Hedge (osage orange) might work, but not mulberry. Even ash would be a better alternative or perhaps hard maple (not silver maple).
No on the Mulberry. You can mark it with a fingernail.
Commercially made handles are almost all hickory, for a reason.

I've always wondered about using Hedge.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-14-2023, 11:08 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: No on the Mulberry. You can mark it with a fingernail.
Commercially made handles are almost all hickory, for a reason.

I've always wondered about using Hedge.

Properties of red mulberry vs. hickory.  The advantage of hickory over red mulberry is its modulus of rupture (breaking strength) is nearly twice as high, as it's elastic modulus (flexular strength).  White ash sits in between and is often used for tool handles.  Its rot resistance is poor, however, so it's not a great choice for anything that will be left in the weather.  

FWIW, speed of the swing is increased if the handle is lighter, not heavier.  Think golf clubs and hockey sticks.  The force at impact is defined by mass x velocity^2.  I personally can do more work with an 8 lb splitting maul than a 12 lb one.  More powerful folks often prefer the heavier variety.  

John