New Yankee Workshop tour by Russell Morash
(01-14-2023, 02:27 PM)tablesawtom Wrote:  I know you know it but, the plane I sent Frank, I bought from you for $17.  I Would love to speak to Frank personally, but there is not to much chance if him getting anywhere close to Iowa. Both Frank and I served a 4 year apprenticeship. I was actually indentured. I love his attitude which is, don't take about it do it.  I spoke to Roy Underhill shortly at a Hand Works show in Amana IA. I believe that my wife may even have a picture if the three of us, but he is not on my air filter.

Tom

Frank retired a while ago; he lived on the same street as a friend of mine did; he re-built an outbuilding as his "retirement" shop, but eventually had some health problems and had to downsize, so he sold his house and moved, where, i don't know.  I saw him last spring at a CRAFTS event and while older, he was in good shape and spirits.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(01-15-2023, 10:01 AM)Admiral Wrote: Frank retired a while ago; he lived on the same street as a friend of mine did; he re-built an outbuilding as his "retirement" shop, but eventually had some health problems and had to downsize, so he sold his house and moved, where, i don't know.  I saw him last spring at a CRAFTS event and while older, he was in good shape and spirits.

I saw some videos about his new shop on You Tube. And the look around his new shop said volumes about the quality of his work.  I can also understand even selling his new shop and down sizing for health problems and just plane ageing. I am still in good health but it will not be to long before I may have to down size and that part of my life will be no more. It is good to hear that he is in good shape and Spirit. If the spirit is good then there is light in the whole body.

Tom
I didn't remember correctly. Here is the picture of Norm and myself on my air filter.

Here is where Franks picture was. Also here is my granddaughter showing attitude.

Here is the picture at home on my dresser waiting for me to make a new frame

And hopefully you can read it.

Thanks for viewing.

Tom
Nice tour. Smaller than I would have thought. Playing the theme song at the end brought back a lot of memories.

I too, miss Norm, but he certainly deserves his retirement. It was Norm's NYW that got me into woodworking. I would look at what he was doing and say to myself, "I can do that!" I like him explaining things as he was working, and also the introduction to all kinds of woodworking machinery I wasn't familiar with when I started the craft. I've met Norm before and can confirm his kindness and patience. I think all the trades folks on This Old House are the same way. I say trades people because I never got the same vibe from Bob Vila or Steve Thomas. I like Kevin O'Connor, although I think they make him out too often to come off as too much of a novice. With the increasing popularity of woodworking due to NYW, the woodworking shows were great. I feel privileged to have met and talked to Roy Underhill (remember - Roy came first), Norm, Frank Klausz, Ian Kirby, Ron Herman, Chris Schwarz, Megan Fitzpatrick, Bob Lang, Toshio Odate, and a host of other pretty darned good woodworkers and advocates of the hobby. It would be nice to see the hobby return to its former glory.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
That sure brings back memories. My FIL got me into woodworking. His health was poor, but we could watch NYW together, and flip through the latest issue of WoodSmith.

I'm glad to see the shop is still in use, and that the episodes will live on.
I just finished writing a post of my own and Thought I would check this one, one more time before ending for the day. I have to agree with Ahill. Today it seems like all they want to do is sell you some gimmick that is supposed to make it so you can do an operation that doesn't really need the gimmick they want you to sell you.  No real helpful information just a marketing ploy. 

Tom
Great to see the workshop is still being used after all these years. Just like Tom, I'd come in from the shop just to watch the show and then go back out. Norm is certainly an icon!
It looks like The New Yankee Workshop will be back on the web. I hope there's enough interest shown to keep it alive.

Dear New Yankee Workshop friends
We apologize to all our customers and fans who may be asking about our website. Well, we are rebuilding it to better serve you with an easier journey for viewing episodes and ordering plans. Please come back in February of 2023 and you can once again enjoy the great craftsmanship of Norm, his great projects, and The New Yankee Workshop.
In the meantime please enjoy our YouTube channel where we are posting the episodes:
youtube.com/@newyankeeworkshop
The New Yankee Workshop is a co-production of Morash Associates, Inc. and WGBH Boston.
The New Yankee Workshop YouTube Channel is active.  I looked earlier today; they had the first two seasons are posted and it looks like their working on Season 3.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
(01-14-2023, 10:20 AM)tablesawtom Wrote: If any Woodneter is passing by Nashua, you have an open invitation to stop by for coffee. I have had one or two including Arlin. There is room on my air filter.
Tom

If that's Nashua, NH, maybe I’ll take you up on that offer in May.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson