Stair Railing Post Dimensions
I am going to redo our builder grade stair railings.  The current post is a turned post about 2.5" wide.  I am going to build out a square walnut post.  My question is on dimensions.  The railing goes partway up the stairs and then there is a wall.  For the purposes of getting furniture, etc up and down the stairs would it make a difference if the post was as wide as the wall is?  I would think not because the width across the stairs would be the same as up at the top of the stairs between the 2 walls.   Are there any code restrictions on the post width?

(01-18-2023, 10:43 AM)crokett™ Wrote: I am going to redo our builder grade stair railings.  The current post is a turned post about 2.5" wide.  I am going to build out a square walnut post.  My question is on dimensions.  The railing goes partway up the stairs and then there is a wall.  For the purposes of getting furniture, etc up and down the stairs would it make a difference if the post was as wide as the wall is?  I would think not because the width across the stairs would be the same as up at the top of the stairs between the 2 walls.   Are there any code restrictions on the post width?

I don't believe there are any code restrictions on newell post width, only on the minimum width of the stairs.  If you don't change that I think you're fine, but it wouldn't hurt to ask your local building inspector.  

I just looked at the NYS Stairs Code and there are no codes directly related to newell posts at all.  

John
I know stairs have to be a certain width. I will size the new post to be no wider than the wall. Thanks.

(01-18-2023, 03:02 PM)crokett™ Wrote: I know stairs have to be a certain width.  I will size the new post to be no wider than the wall.  Thanks.

Yes, that's correct.  You can look up the codes for stairs.  Or I can send you the NYS code requirements if you send my a PM with your email.  As you choose.  

John