Table saw blade alignment
Anyone planning to upgrade to a cabinet saw or to another cabinet saw should seriously consider getting a sawstop ics or pcs.......OR wait until the finger saving alternatives swarm the market. When the finger saving feature is now available to even the compact saw segment, investing in a cabinet saw with only the old safety tech doesn't seem to be wise.

Simon
(01-23-2023, 06:02 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Anyone planning to upgrade to a cabinet saw or to another cabinet saw should seriously consider getting a sawstop ics or pcs.......OR wait until the finger saving alternatives swarm the market. When the finger saving feature is now available to even the compact saw segment.

The latter isn’t going to happen anytime soon.      
No

No one want to license SS’s tech at the prices they’re asking.

The patents are so narrow that similar systems don’t seem achievable.  Bosch found that out with their portable Reaxx. I was surprised they didn’t mount a stronger challenge given their deep(er) pockets.  

The current “compact saw” offerings are from SS in one way or another. 

Alternative safety systems have been developed , but they are from industrial equip. manuf. and on big saws that cost big $$,$$$. They aren’t coming to a cabinet -or- especially a consumer grade portable saw near you anytime soon either.  

Buy a sawstop because you need/want a good cabinet saw.  The safety stuff is just an added bonus.
(01-23-2023, 08:27 AM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: No one want to license SS’s tech at the prices they’re asking.

"Between the 8% fee and the additional hardware costs, your typical $400 jobsite saw would potentially rise in cost to around $625. Your entry-level table saws would all but disappear. We’re not sure how well that will be received by consumers who prefer to keep themselves safe."

https://www.protoolreviews.com/sawstop-v...w-lawsuit/

I wouldn't even think twice if I could add the finger saving tech to my kapex miter saw for just $225. As we now all know, the additional costs (whatever they are for the cabinet saws) have not deterred tens of thousands of people, businesses and schools to choose the finger saving technology (in 2014, the 50,000th ss saw was sold, and that was 8 years ago). Needless to say, once the ss patents are no longer an obstacle, most saw makers will start making the finger saving feature sound like an essential feature and not a bonus!

To me, 8% wasn't a greedy proposal for such a technological invention.

Simon
(01-22-2023, 09:21 PM)scpapa Wrote: G1023RLWX 5hp
Easy setup except aligning the riving knife

Rick

I had a heck of a time aligning the knife on my 3hp rl1023.  I finally got it dead on but it was really finicky.