Table saw blade alignment
I have a brand new Grizzly cabinet saw. I checked the parallelism of blade to miter slot. It was out .018" front to back of the quality blade. Is this too much misalignment? I'm used to working with .003" - .005" with metal.
I'll adjust if necessary, but I'll leave it if not needed.
Thanks for any input.

Rick Miller
Any government that robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul!
MAGA!!
(01-18-2023, 07:11 PM)scpapa Wrote: I have a brand new Grizzly cabinet saw. I checked the parallelism of blade to miter slot. It was out .018" front to back of the quality blade. Is this too much misalignment? I'm used to working with .003" - .005" with metal.
I'll adjust if necessary, but I'll leave it if not needed.
Thanks for any input.

Rick Miller

I'd adjust it...
The truer you can get the blade parallel with the miter slots the better the cut. This is one of the most important settings on a tablesaw.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
Your measured misalignment is more than 1/64th of an inch.  That will leave a lot of saw marks.  If you make a sled for doing things like cutting miters, you'll have issues there as well.

A dollar bill is only about .004" thick.

I'd adjust it as well.  

BUT FIRST ...  make certain that blade is flat.  You said it's a quality blade and I believe you.  But even quality blades can sometimes have issues.  Taking a few seconds to check that can preclude one source of error.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
If you measure off the same tooth, rotating it front to back, it doesn't matter if the blade is flat or not.  You want to get the difference to less than 0.002 - 0.003".  0.018" is far too much.  With a cabinet saw, it shouldn't be hard to adjust it.  It should all be in the manual, and also the value Grizzly considers acceptable.  

John
(01-19-2023, 10:43 AM)jteneyck Wrote: If you measure off the same tooth, rotating it front to back, it doesn't matter if the blade is flat or not.  You want to get the difference to less than 0.002 - 0.003".  0.018" is far too much.  With a cabinet saw, it shouldn't be hard to adjust it.  It should all be in the manual, and also the value Grizzly considers acceptable.  

John
THIS^^^

If you don't you'll probably have issues with miter or sled.
Thanks fro the replies. I adjusted the parallelism to .002". Grizzly made it very easy to do.

Rick
Any government that robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul!
MAGA!!
(01-21-2023, 12:16 AM)scpapa Wrote: Thanks fro the replies. I adjusted the parallelism to .002". Grizzly made it very easy to do.

Rick

Glad to see you got it aligned so well.  I can't speak for older Grizzly manuals, but the ones they've included with their machines I've looked at in the past 5 years or so are generally excellent and walk you through all key alignment procedures.    

John
Congrats. Curious as to which saw,…G1023 family? One day I’ll move up from my hybrid.
Earl
(01-21-2023, 11:12 AM)greenacres2 Wrote: Congrats.  Curious as to which saw,…G1023 family?  One day I’ll move up from my hybrid.
Earl

G1023RLWX 5hp
Easy setup except aligning the riving knife

Rick
MAGA!!