Rid house of old electronics/electricals?
Off-topic unless ridding me of about a half-ton (not much exaggeration) of stuff is home improvement.  Over many years when I was into electronics and test equipment, building equipment, etc., I accumulated so much stuff that continues to clutter up the place and never will be of use to me again.  Things include:

- A large box of aluminum heat sinks, some drilled for TO3 devices, some anodized
- A large box of transformers and DC power supplies, some dating back to tube days, some low voltage
- Couple hundred vacuum tubes, from sub-miniature up
- Boxes of variable resistors, including 10-turn pots and the vernier dials for 3-digit accuracy
- Miscellaneous coils and chokes
- Hundreds of transistors, diodes, triacs, etc. (anyone remember the first CK722/723 types?)
- Two 40-drawer cabinets full of sorted resistors and capacitors, including many precision types and electrolytics
- Box of blank printed circuit boards and perf boards, mostly fiberglass
- some old IBM XT memory and processor chips
- All sorts of connectors and clips, some gold-plated but small
- A lot of other stuff (you get the idea)

I'm not looking for any return here, just would prefer it not end up in a landfill and hope someone might find it useful or intriguing.  Except for disposing of the metal stuff at the local scrap metal facility, searches around here (SE PA) has not turned up any leads, so I would like to poll the brain trust to see if anyone has any ideas.  NOTE: the weight of a lot of it probably precludes shipping.

Gary
Monthly consignment auction at a local on-line auction house. List with no reserve.

Ed
look for electronics forums. might need different search terms but there are still people out there working on and collecting the old stuff.
local FB for sale community page.
might be groups on facebook too.
craigslist.
might be a local ham radio club that might know someone tinkerin with old stuff.
My dad was an engineer for HP... One of the 1st 100 employees. I was tasked with clearing his stuff out when he passed. Tools, electronics, switched, micro switches, meters, heat sinks... lots of stuff. Even an old HAM radio the size of a microwave oven. I advertised a yard sale on craigslist with lots of pictures. Everything sold. I was surprised how fast the electronics stuff went and those people showed up early. One guy collected old HP stuff. Anything with the HP logo. He bought all of the HP stuff.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Check with charities.  We had several in our area (within 40 miles) that took old electronics, removed anything salvageable and sold it.  Assumed they were able to dispose of the left-overs legally.  Instead of paying to dump, was able to take a modest tax deduction.
Maybe a Habitat for Humanity ReStore.
Check with any Vo-tech/Tech schools, colleges in the area.  They might want the material for their classes/labs.
Before you throw out any old computer stuff check on ebay sold listings to see if it's worth anything.  I'd rather not talk about how I found out about this. 

Okay, I threw out a board that regularly goes for $500 on ebay

On edit: getting rid of stuff definitely improves your house. I really need to keep working on that.
(01-24-2023, 12:27 PM)branchacctg Wrote: Check with any Vo-tech/Tech schools, colleges in the area.  They might want the material for their classes/labs.

+1

In addition, it might be worth checking to see if any of your local high schools still have an electronics shop class.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(01-24-2023, 07:14 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: My dad was an engineer for HP... One of the 1st 100 employees. I was tasked with clearing his stuff out when he passed. Tools, electronics, switched, micro switches, meters, heat sinks... lots of stuff. Even an old HAM radio the size of a microwave oven. I advertised a yard sale on craigslist with lots of pictures. Everything sold. I was surprised how fast the electronics stuff went and those people showed up early. One guy collected old HP stuff. Anything with the HP logo. He bought all of the HP stuff.

Did you ever get into the hobby shop at HP?  I used to wander through that place lots of great tools
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.