restoring some big dogs
It is quite cold here in Iowa today. And actually my shop has been closed down since late November. So I have been working on making stuff for the shop come next Spring and regrinding some planes Here are a couple of big dogs I let get away from me. Should have gotten to them a little sooner

And here is where I am at the present, Now all I have to do is reassemble them. Trust me the dark spots in the next first two pictures are reflections of something else. I did order a new chip breaker and iron from Lee Valley and they came today. The plane iron is a Hock. And last October I picked up a Lee Valley cap iron cap iron and a PM-V11 blade at a swop meet in Bloomington MN. So I am ready finish putting them together and to rock and roll.

Tom
Tom,  nice work,  great finish on the plane soles.
They came out great.  Do you have any special formula for those results?
They look terrific, Tom. But I feel badly for that chisel in the first picture. Hope it didn't take too much damage scraping off the rust! :-)
(01-26-2023, 07:43 PM)stav Wrote: They came out great.  Do you have any special formula for those results?

Yes I do it is called using a surface grinder. After cleaning up the whole surface I dressed the wheel and very lightly picked up the surface and took a pass a crossed the surface. usually metal will heat up and lift up into the wheek leaving the part high on the ends and low in the middle. I could tell I could tell by the sound that my pass was deep enough to get through the high ends so I didn't have a valley then I dropped the wheel .0002 and took a grinding pass accosted the bottom followed by 3 spark out passes. 

Tom
Messed up and got the wrong picture.

Very nice work, Tom! Where are all the kids coming into the machinist trade that would know how to fixture and grind anything like you do? Lost art, sadly.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(01-26-2023, 08:12 PM)grwold Wrote: They look terrific, Tom.  But I feel badly for that chisel in the first picture.  Hope it didn't take too much damage scraping off the rust!  :-)

That chisel came from Harbor Freight. The set ranges from 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches and the whole set costs about $12 if you do not have a coupon. The steel in them is better than some of the other cheap sets which only go up to an inch. The steel is  quite good and does hold an edge fairly well which is rather surprising. The set does do a good job as a scraper so it can be used double duty.

I think it is called Windsor and the set is the best bang for the buck as far as woodworking chisels go. Are they as good as the premium chisels no, but the whole set is $12 not $95 for a 1/4 inch chisel. 

It is winter time and I can not afford to heat my shop so I did flatten the backs on 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 chisels from Harbor Freight. It isn't every day that a person needs a 1 1/2 chisel. I thought the steels edge holding properties were worth the extra work to cover these 2 sizes. 

Tom
Tom,

Looks great. I really like long planes and always have one handy.

Can you say a little more about your setup? I’ve heard people say the frogs add preload, so they recommend grinding with them in place. Do you inspect the flatness before and after? How?

Last, interested in opinions if any of this matters. I think my opinion is, if the wear (surface just in front of the mouth) is a little worn (hollow) the plane may struggle. Almost feel as tho this could be more trouble for a wooden plane than an iron one??? Anybody think long iron planes flex more than woodies?
There is a dealer or two in my area...lots of good tools...

Stanley 4-1/2c, Type 11...

The "Problem"?     Sprays all metal parts with a least a couple coats of Clearcoat.  

He doesn't  spray the wood parts....but, it is a bit tricky to remove that gunk, without removing the good stuff...

Some things, I can peel back to bare metal...

yep, 2 coats on the soles, too...

So, do I leave some of this junk in place?

Or, risk remove the 100 yr old Japanning, as well?
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that