restoring some big dogs
There is a Dealer in my neck of the Ohio woods...that always gives the tools he sells a heavy coat of ClearCoat....
Upset
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Them Big Dogs need to eat..

Can't let the wee ones get all the fun..

Busy day, today...

Got these 2 boards to 3/4" and smooth..

And these were resawn and flattened down to 1/2"

Old tools can either sit and look pretty on a shelf....or..get put to work...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(02-28-2023, 06:10 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: There's a guy in Frederick Md who sells his stuff at an antique mall. He's been selling there at least 15 years that I know of. I've bought several things from him... Most of my chisels. His problem is he tends to use a wire wheel to clean up rust on his planes. Not always but way to often. I've only met him once and I told him that I'd pay more and buy his planes if he just left the stuff the way he found it and didn't use a wire wheel. He told me "Shiny sells". The upside is that he does have other nice stuff. He finds NOS Nicholson files at reasonable prices. Lots of old American made pliers and they're usually under $6.00. I don't think I've ever paid more than $12.00 for a chisel. Usually under $9.00. Mostly Pexto and some Buck Bros chisels for a few dollars more.

Several years ago I was perusing the wares of a tool seller at a local flea market.  He occasionally has some nice stuff.  I was looking for a #7 or #8 and he had one, but he had taken a wire wheel to it.  It looked awful.  I picked it up and gave it a once over, just to see if it was complete.  I quickly put it back down.  The seller noticed and immediately offered to lower the price.  I passed.

A year or so later, I was at the same table of the same seller at the same flea market.  The seller was talking to another vendor and he actually mentioned that story to him, about the time some guy wouldn't buy a perfectly good plane because he had cleaned it up with a wire wheel.   
Laugh
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

I am sorry. I guess I do not understand what is wrong with a wire wheel. I had to use a wire wheel to clean out the grooves on the bottom of the plane first pictured. It was crap if I didn't. I used some wire wheels on the painted surface just so I could get it clean enough so I could paint. I can understand not liking a surface  that a wire brush produces it it was used on if it was a new Lie Nielsen, but not to buy a 100 year old plane that is in good shape  just because a person probably removed some rust with a wire brush seem a little strange to me.

Lets see if I got this right, Every plane that is purchased at a flee market needs to be flattened to make it cut good. So it is okay to scratch up the bottom with sand paper. It doesn't really take that long even though it takes me about 2 hours on a surface grinded that is designed to do one thing and that is to remove metal. Lets see, it is okay to scratch the bottom up with sandpaper which is a waist of time because cast iron doesn't like abrasives. But we walk away from a  $20 plane at a flee market because the guy used a wire brush on it?

Tom
(03-01-2023, 04:47 PM)tablesawtom Wrote: I am sorry. I guess I do not understand what is wrong with a wire wheel. I had to use a wire wheel to clean out the grooves on the bottom of the plane first pictured. It was crap if I didn't. I used some wire wheels on the painted surface just so I could get it clean enough so I could paint. I can understand not liking a surface  that a wire brush produces it it was used on if it was a new Lie Nielsen, but not to buy a 100 year old plane that is in good shape  just because a person probably removed some rust with a wire brush seem a little strange to me.

Lets see if I got this right, Every plane that is purchased at a flee market needs to be flattened to make it cut good. So it is okay to scratch up the bottom with sand paper. It doesn't really take that long even though it takes me about 2 hours on a surface grinded that is designed to do one thing and that is to remove metal. Lets see, it is okay to scratch the bottom up with sandpaper which is a waist of time because cast iron doesn't like abrasives. But we walk away from a  $20 plane at a flee market because the guy used a wire brush on it?

Tom

Well, IIRC it was considerably more than $20, even at the discount he was offering.  I don't believe it was a 100 yr old plane.  I'm no expert, but I think it was, at least, post WWII vintage.  The wire wheel he used was very aggressive and he used it over the whole body of the plane, not just the sole.  The gouges were quite deep.  The plane may well have been OK as a user, but I figured if he was as ham handed on anything else he did to that plane, who knows what kind of problems it might create.

I knew very little about planes then (don't know a whole lot more today, for that matter) and I was willing to take a chance that I could find a better one, if I kept looking.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(03-02-2023, 10:49 AM)Bill Wilson Wrote: Well, IIRC it was considerably more than $20, even at the discount he was offering.  I don't believe it was a 100 yr old plane.  I'm no expert, but I think it was, at least, post WWII vintage.  The wire wheel he used was very aggressive and he used it over the whole body of the plane, not just the sole.  The gouges were quite deep.  The plane may well have been OK as a user, but I figured if he was as ham handed on anything else he did to that plane, who knows what kind of problems it might create.

I knew very little about planes then (don't know a whole lot more today, for that matter) and I was willing to take a chance that I could find a better one, if I kept looking.
Willing to take a chance that I could find a better one, if I kept looking. I love your answer.

In my 60 years of working metal I have never seen any gouge marks left from a wire brush. I worked with one on a die grinder to help clean all it the deep groves left by the Blanchard grinder in the router table top I have posted. If there were deep groves than the person used something else other than a wire brush.

I do agree with you that you made the correct choice by walking away. And yes I also believe you can find better, I do it al the time. It sounds to me like the person used a fine sanding disc on a 4 1/2 inch right angled grinder rather than a wire brush. Just thought of this while writing this.  But then there are some hard wire brushes you can mount on a right angled grinder. I am thinking about a wire wheel that go on a bench grinder, they don't make grooves. 

Again I loved and respect what you had to say about walking away knowing you can find better if you keep looking. The same is true with cars, furniture, a future wife  or what ever you want or buy.

Tom

Flap wheels (sanding discs) for 4-1/2” angle grinders, are all the rage at HF.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com