Can green mold ruin the wood?
Photo 
I noticed today that on the osage wood planks that I had cut this autumn some green mold appeared. Between the bark and the sapwood. I noticed this earlier on the firewood too, but it was not extensive, however now on the firewood it is proliferating seriously. In spite of that both stock is under roof safe from water, especially the planks. 

Do I need to worry, or it will go away when the warmer weather comes? Now it is winter here where I live, we had record breaking amount of rain in the past 2 weeks. 

[Image: IMG-20230127-134347.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20230127-134357.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20230127-134431.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20230127-134440.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20230127-134448.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20230127-134452.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20230127-134500.jpg]
That's not good.  I had that happen with some sycamore I had air drying.  I kiln dried it afterwards, but the mold had stained the wood so deeply that it was useless for anything other than paint grade.  I don't think it damaged the wood structurally though, so yours might be ok for utility purposes.  

John
Have you tried peeling off the bark on a piece and see what it looks like?
(01-30-2023, 07:04 PM)hcbph Wrote: Have you tried peeling off the bark on a piece and see what it looks like?

No I haven't. But I removed the mold with a brush, and moved the planks into the garage where the humidity is drier, and up to now it seems to be okay. Our region experienced above average amount of rain, actually record high levels, so maybe that caused this unusual event, that the mold appeared in spite of that it never did before.