Frog compatibility question?i
I was wondering about using other makers frogs. Will the Saunders frog work on Stanley and vice versa. Also the bedrock Stanley with the keen kutter and Winchester.
The knobs and totes do match up well on other named planes made by Stanley or is there a general rule of thumb to avoid?
(01-27-2023, 11:38 AM)Jack in omaha Wrote: I was wondering about using other makers frogs. Will the Saunders frog work on Stanley and vice versa. Also the bedrock Stanley with the keen kutter and Winchester.
The knobs and totes do match up well on other named planes made by Stanley or is there a general rule of thumb to avoid?

Bed Rock round sides and Keen Kutter K series frogs interchange. My Wards Master and Stanley Bailey interchange. I suspect that Miller Falls and Stanley Bailey interchange but not for sure. I never really checked to see. I hear Winchester interchanges with Keen Kutter K series but I have never seen a Winchester up close and personal. A Bedrock round sides and Bed Rock flat side frogs do not interchange. Slots have different spacings.

Tom
I guess I have to correct myself.  I have 2 Keen Kutter K5 planes and I can't find their frogs. I thought I found one but it turned out to be a frog from a flat side. Anyway I tried it and I could get the screws to go in. I had to use the 5/8ths long ones. Usually the shorter 1/2 inch long are the ones that are used. The screws are off center but it made the plane usable.

Tom