WTB: 1"-8 Chuck
I'm looking to get a chuck for my recently-acquired lathe.  The spindle thread is 1"-8.

I'm new to turning, and would like to try out some bowls.  My lathe is a new-to-me Craftsman 351-217150 with a 1"-8 spindle thread, 2MT spindle taper, and a 15" maximum bowl diameter (the head rotates).  If you've a chuck you're not using and would like to move on, please let me know.
(01-27-2023, 08:18 PM)grwold Wrote: I'm looking to get a chuck for my recently-acquired lathe.  The spindle thread is 1"-8.

I'm new to turning, and would like to try out some bowls.  My lathe is a new-to-me Craftsman 351-217150 with a 1"-8 spindle thread, 2MT spindle taper, and a 15" maximum bowl diameter (the head rotates).  If you've a chuck you're not using and would like to move on, please let me know.

Maybe something like this would work for you. No affiliation, blah-blah, just did a quick search on Ebay.

I am not a turner, in fact I don't have a wood lathe, only metal lathes. I think you could use this plate to put chunks on and turn them round as well as work on them. You could mount this outboard also to work on larger stuff possibly, many wood lathes are setup to do so, I don't know about the Craftsman (obviously discontinued).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/364120625056

Here's another one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/314303633963

Posting this because I think it's a ripoff. $300 for Chinesium, this is a chatchka that is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175345806460

I don't know what you want to do with your spindle, they make 2MT chucks also, but mostly for drills on metal lathes. You might want to make chisel/tool handles, stuff like that in addition to bowls. When I was in high school I used to turn a lot of bowls, it's addicting because you can carve them out fairly quick. Wish I had that Yates-American lathe I used to turn on...maybe when I have more space...
Rolleyes
Alan
Geometry was the most critical/useful mathematics class I had, and it didn't even teach me mathematics.
(02-01-2023, 04:58 PM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: Maybe something like this would work for you. No affiliation, blah-blah, just did a quick search on Ebay.

I am not a turner, in fact I don't have a wood lathe, only metal lathes. I think you could use this plate to put chunks on and turn them round as well as work on them. You could mount this outboard also to work on larger stuff possibly, many wood lathes are setup to do so, I don't know about the Craftsman (obviously discontinued).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/364120625056

Here's another one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/314303633963

Posting this because I think it's a ripoff. $300 for Chinesium, this is a chatchka that is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175345806460

I don't know what you want to do with your spindle, they make 2MT chucks also, but mostly for drills on metal lathes. You might want to make chisel/tool handles, stuff like that in addition to bowls. When I was in high school I used to turn a lot of bowls, it's addicting because you can carve them out fairly quick. Wish I had that Yates-American lathe I used to turn on...maybe when I have more space...
Rolleyes

Thanks, Alan.  Amazing, that one jumbo jaw--they're asking as much for it as the vicmarc, oneway, and axminster kits run new!

I appreciate the pointer to the face plates.  Glue a sacrificial piece to screw into, right?  Some people speak of using paper as a separator--I assume that's to give a clearer indication of what to cut to, when you're separating the finished piece?

I've been practicing various spindle cuts with a roughing gouge and a skew, and even made a French rolling pin (easy starting projects!) as a Christmas gift.  I've got some exotic wood blanks from WN folks to use for small handles, pens, etc., as well.  So far turning has been fun, and the catches I've caused have been uneventful (except to the wood).

Greg
(02-01-2023, 08:26 PM)grwold Wrote: Thanks, Alan.  Amazing, that one jumbo jaw--they're asking as much for it as the vicmarc, oneway, and axminster kits run new!
You gotta really watch things these days. China is coming out with higher end products. I have nothing against the Chinese people, it's the CCP that is evil, IMO, and we need to stop them. I will not buy anything that I don't have to from China. I try to evaluate each purchase to make the best choice. Some product I can't avoid Chinesium.

(02-01-2023, 08:26 PM)grwold Wrote: I appreciate the pointer to the face plates.  Glue a sacrificial piece to screw into, right?  Some people speak of using paper as a separator--I assume that's to give a clearer indication of what to cut to, when you're separating the finished piece?
Yes, pretty much screw it onto the blank and get it as centered as you can, but it will true up per the spindle once you start turning. I have a few chisels as I occasionally would turn something out of wood on my metal lathes, but most machinist frown on that, as they also do grinding on metal lathes.

(02-01-2023, 08:26 PM)grwold Wrote: I've been practicing various spindle cuts with a roughing gouge and a skew, and even made a French rolling pin (easy starting projects!) as a Christmas gift.  I've got some exotic wood blanks from WN folks to use for small handles, pens, etc., as well.  So far turning has been fun, and the catches I've caused have been uneventful (except to the wood).
I did make a pen out of a piece of amoboyna burl I had. It feels good, although not 100% the shape I was after, it works. The pen kits are cheap at Rockler and Woodcraft, AFAIK. At least they used to be. They have a jig to use in order to get things lined up using a mandrel or some such procedure. I'd like to turn some bed posts, or other symetrical posts to use in projects.
Greg
[/quote]
Alan
Geometry was the most critical/useful mathematics class I had, and it didn't even teach me mathematics.
hey greg!  
Big Grin

i've got 2 of the 3 3/4" grizzly chucks, and i'm really happy with 'em.  they're vicmarc clones pretty much, and i actually got vicmarc jaws that do fit.

they have some decent packages that come with pretty much everything you might want:

3-3/4" Wood Lathe Chuck Set at Grizzly.com
IF you really want a chuck, google "Super NOVA 2 with Popular Jaw Assortment Bundle"
This has been discontinued, but it gives you the Chuck, 1" jaws, cole jaws, and 4" jaws.
Not sure if the normal 2" jaws are included or not (they usually are included with the chuck), but if not, you can find those cheap on ebay.
It's about 250, but if you plan on buying the jaws anyhow, it's a good value.
Like someone else said, you don't necessarily NEED a chuck to turn bowls.

Ebay is a good place to look too. I've gotten used name brand chucks off there at a good price.
Thanks, John & Paul! I'll check those out. Appreciate the input!