Rikon Bandsaw Drive Belt Problem
I have a Rikon 10-325 bandsaw I've had for some time.  The original drive belt was replaced some time ago with an HASMX 4-rib drive belt and itt worked fine until recently.  Now the drive belt keeps slipping off the tensioning wheel.  Has anyone else experienced this and what was the solution?
I have that bandsaw but I've never had that issue. That being said, it sounds like maybe the belt just needs to have the tension adjusted.
(01-28-2023, 05:11 PM)sweensdv2 Wrote: I have that bandsaw but I've never had that issue.  That being said, it sounds like maybe the belt just needs to have the tension adjusted.

That approach was my first attempt to solve the problem.  It seems the belt is unusually sensitive and prone to coming loose regardless of how loose or tight to which it was adjusted, although I can occasionally adjust the tension so it will only run for a couple of minutes before failure.  I did wonder if the belt needed to be replaced again.  The belt that came with the unit ran until it shredded.  The grooves in the HASMX 4-rib belt I have on it now measure the same depth as a spare, so it seems unlikely that a new belt with solve the problem. So I watched what videos there were on replacing the belt and noticed they all did something I had not done, that being removal of the lower wheel. After removal I ran an awl through all the grooves (there was little or nothing to remove) and then touched it up for good measure with a wire brush with the motor going. I then reassembled everything and turned it on. Lo and behold that did the trick. What I actually did I'll never know. Maybe it was the shop gremlins playing tricks on me.
Chances are very good that you're correct, shop gremlins once again doing some quality work. Glad to hear all is right in your world once again.
(01-28-2023, 06:03 PM)Lee Ohmart Wrote: That approach was my first attempt to solve the problem.  It seems the belt is unusually sensitive and prone to coming loose regardless of how loose or tight to which it was adjusted, although I can occasionally adjust the tension so it will only run for a couple of minutes before failure.  I did wonder if the belt needed to be replaced again.  The belt that came with the unit ran until it shredded.  The grooves in the HASMX 4-rib belt I have on it now measure the same depth as a spare, so it seems unlikely that a new belt with solve the problem.  So I watched what videos there were on replacing the belt and noticed they all did something I had not done, that being removal of the lower wheel.  After removal I ran an awl through all the grooves (there was little or nothing to remove) and then touched it up for good measure with a wire brush with the motor going.  I then reassembled everything and turned it on.  Lo and behold that did the trick.  What I actually did I'll never know.  Maybe it was the shop gremlins playing tricks on me.

When I replaced my belt after a decade, it made noise like it was going to jump off the wheel.  I had to bring the wheels back into alignment with some tiny adjustments. Smooth since then.
The tracking on those little belts is fussy. My Rikon had the blade on the lower wheel tracking toward the front of the wheel when the top wheel was tracking in the center from the factory. One day I decided to adjust the lower wheel so the blade tracked in the center of both wheels. I was able to do that but after not much use I discovered the shredded belt. The belt was trying to track up against the shoulder that forms the larger (slower speed) pulley. Luckily I had the sense to make a mark on the adjusting bolt head so was able to return the lower wheel to its original setting.
(02-01-2023, 08:43 AM)kurt18947 Wrote: The tracking on those little belts is fussy. My Rikon had the blade on the lower wheel tracking toward the front of the wheel when the top wheel was tracking in the center from the factory. One day I decided to adjust the lower wheel so the blade tracked in the center of both wheels. I was able to do that but after not much use I discovered the shredded belt. The belt was trying to track up against the shoulder that forms the larger (slower speed) pulley. Luckily I had the sense to make a mark on the adjusting bolt head so was able to return the lower wheel to its original setting.

That is a tip that I will do my best to remember. Many thanks!
Yes
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.