Grizzly G0544 Planer Wont Turn On
(01-29-2023, 03:40 PM)R12C Wrote: To ground

When you get the fuse test across the device themselves, instead of to ground, this where you are coming up with voltages like 99v instead of 120v.  Also do your testing back to neutral instead of ground. If you lost the neutral connection, it wont work but will test at 120.   Also this is a setup with latching contacts so if the power would go out while using it wIll not start up by itself when power is restored. The overloads on both relays will stop it and also prevent from auto restarting.  The reset button which you pull to start, the aux contacts on both relays, and the overloads on both relays all will prevent  the relays from picking up.   Roly
When you get the fuse test across the device themselves, instead of to ground, this where you are coming up with voltages like 99v instead of 120v.  Also do your testing back to neutral instead of ground. If you lost the neutral connection, it wont work but will test at 120.   Also this is a setup with latching contacts so if the power would go out while using it wIll not start up by itself when power is restored.  Also the overloads on both relays will stop it and also prevent from auto restarting.  The reset button which you pull to start, the aux contacts on both relays, and the overloads on both relays will prevent  the relays from picking up.   Roly
Start cap?

Centrifugal switch?

I have had both go bad on Grizzly motors
"During times of universal deceit, Telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act"

-- George Orwell
(01-29-2023, 05:16 PM)Roly Wrote: When you get the fuse test across the device themselves, instead of to ground, this where you are coming up with voltages like 99v instead of 120v.  Also do your testing back to neutral instead of ground. If you lost the neutral connection, it wont work but will test at 120.   Also this is a setup with latching contacts so if the power would go out while using it wIll not start up by itself when power is restored. The overloads on both relays will stop it and also prevent from auto restarting.  The reset button which you pull to start, the aux contacts on both relays, and the overloads on both relays all will prevent  the relays from picking up.   Roly

It's 220V single phase so there's no neutral wire.  

John
(01-30-2023, 10:16 AM)jteneyck Wrote: It's 220V single phase so there's no neutral wire.  

John

You are correct, i mistook the white wire as a neutral.  Still confused by only one fuse in the control circuit when it is 240v.   Roly
Make sure the overload for both contactors is reset. I've only looked at the wiring diagram for a few minutes so someone correct me if I missed something, but it looks like wire #0 (one side of the coil circuit for both contactors) passes through both overload relays (wired in series). If that's the case then neither contactor will energize if the overload for either one is tripped.

There should be a blue button on each overload that will be popped out if the overload is tripped. Pressing it should reset the overload.

(01-30-2023, 03:13 PM)FrankAtl Wrote: Make sure the overload for both contactors is reset. I've only looked at the wiring diagram for a few minutes so someone correct me if I missed something, but it looks like wire #0 (one side of the coil circuit for both contactors) passes through both overload relays (wired in series). If that's the case then neither contactor will energize if the overload for either one is tripped.

There should be a blue button on each overload that will be popped out if the overload is tripped. Pressing it should reset the overload.

That could be it, Frank.  

John
(01-30-2023, 01:56 PM)Roly Wrote: You are correct, i mistook the white wire as a neutral.  Still confused by only one fuse in the control circuit when it is 240v.   Roly

I think one fuse is all it needs.  It controls power to the reset button, and from there to the two start buttons.  

John
(01-30-2023, 03:13 PM)FrankAtl Wrote: Make sure the overload for both contactors is reset. I've only looked at the wiring diagram for a few minutes so someone correct me if I missed something, but it looks like wire #0 (one side of the coil circuit for both contactors) passes through both overload relays (wired in series). If that's the case then neither contactor will energize if the overload for either one is tripped.

I hope it's that easy. I'll give it a shot but it may be a few days until I have time to get out to the shop. I'll let you know.
(02-01-2023, 08:33 PM)R12C Wrote: I hope it's that easy. I'll give it a shot but it may be a few days until I have time to get out to the shop. I'll let you know.

One of the buttons was sticking out. I pushed it back in but it won't stay, immediately slides back out. Think this one is bad and needs replaced?