How do you think that this was made?
How do you think that this was made?
My first thought was that it was turned with thick walls and then carved.
Second theory is that the segments were cut on a CNC and there was no turning involved.
What do you think?

Attached Files Image(s)

My guess would be glue up and turn thick, then carve - agree with your first thought. Not too hard to power carve while mounted on the lathe.
Could have used one of those power carvers with the course grit on a four inch grinder and then sanded of which I have seen
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Rose engine lathe
VH07V  
(01-29-2023, 01:20 AM)EightFingers Wrote: Rose engine lathe

Ahh yes forgot about those.  Always wish we had one.  They can do some spectacular work.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(01-29-2023, 01:20 AM)EightFingers Wrote: Rose engine lathe

That was my guess also.

Another approach is a ring stacking technique: take a flat board (here, a glue up of small pieces), then saw a series of successively smaller rings out of the board. Stack, glue and finish sand.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
Mystery Solved!
I was able to find an email address for the artist of this piece, Richard Morris. I reached out to him and asked how it was made. Here is his reply:

" It is a segmented bowl with a 2” thick wall at the top going to about 1” towards the bottom. I use a 2” carbide bit on an air grinder. I use the 24 spots to lock the bowl in the lathe. The grinder is in a wooden sled and a wooden table on in place of the tool rest. I put 12 scallops inside and outside. "
(02-03-2023, 06:26 AM)Dusty Workshop Wrote: Mystery Solved!
I was able to find an email address for the artist of this piece, Richard Morris. I reached out to him and asked how it was made. Here is his reply:

" It is a segmented bowl with a 2” thick wall at the top going to about 1” towards the bottom. I use a 2” carbide bit on an air grinder. I use the 24 spots to lock the bowl in the lathe. The grinder is in a wooden sled and a wooden table on in place of the tool rest. I put 12 scallops inside and outside. "

Wow!

thanks for the update/info.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
My guess scrollsaw. I have done baskets like that and just stack rings.
John T.