Fix a ladder, then build a copy of it
Handy ladders fo sure. I have 2 of them, different brand and made differently.
One I bought new, the other at an auction for 2-3 bucks.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Braces for the back legs....chose the 1 board without any knots...rip 2 pieces out of it....miter the ends to match the splay of the legs....cut both for length while doing the angled cut.....then a rebate on each end.    2 Counter-sunk screws per end, with a dab of glue...

Next...make the 2 folding braces from these..

Brass-plated Lid Stays....cut and shape..

Then drill a hole on each end....Forstner bit to drill a recess for the outside washer...then drill a 1/4" hole through the legs...

A dab of Locktite Blue Thread Locker on the ends of the bolts, before the nut goes on....a drop of 3in1 oil to make sure things will move as needed..

from folded up, to opened up..

So, let the step ladder stand up on it's own 4 feet...

I also set this down onto the shop floor...then stepped up on it....except for the very top step.    I NEVER step on that top step, on any Ladder, ever.

Not a sound was heard...solid as a rock, you might say.
Thinking a coat or 2 of Witch's Brew finish...and then use my branding iron....just not sure where to brand at...yet...
A block plane to ease the sharp corners...and see how this turns out...
Stay tuned...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Looking good.  

If you're going to brand it, it has to be on the top step where it can easily be seen.
And...a coat of Witch's Brew finish...

From the front..

From a side...

And a look at the back's braces...

And...while it was sitting on the shop floor...I stepped up onto the middle step.....tested up to 235 pounds.

Will get the branding iron heated up later, today....
Couple issues got fixed.....one back leg was slightly longer than the other....leaving a gap between that leg and the floor....Belt sander to even them out.
Second issue:   one of the folding braces was bass-ackwards....got that changed aroung

Took a bit longer than I was hoping for....but the top step now has the Brand done.....most of it...a black sharpie to fill in the places the branding iron did not want to scorch...

The lid of the case for the spokeshave also got branded....

BTW: The Boss liked the little step ladder....
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
All branded up...
Winkgrin

Should be ready to go to work...detail?

Thanks for looking in!
Winkgrin