Table Saw Alignment Plate
I see that Woodpeckers has a new table saw surface ground steel alignment plate along with a stainless steel 90-degree triangle for table saw alignment costing $200.00. I know that other companies have similar plates for about half the cost. I was wondering whether a 10 inch diameter plate glass disc with a 5/8 diameter arbor hole would an inexpensive alternative. Also, would a 10-inch 3/8 thick diameter aluminum plate that is face turned on a lathe so that both surfaces are parallel on both sides accomplish aligning a table saw? Any answers or experience would be appreciated.
I have a Master Gage Master plate (a rectangular machined aluminum plate) for setting the saw. I've had this one for years, but I know it would cost less than the Woodpecker's stuff. That said, I don't really think it's a huge improvement over using a saw blade that you know runs true. Before spending the money try that ans see what the results are (measured by actual use). About the glass plate, I suspect that would work just as well, though it would obviously be more fragile.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I doubt any of you guys remember Woody. He shared a plan for a homemade alignment plate. Dead accurate and made in your shop. Ol Woody was very practical and one h@ll of a craftsman. He was a firm believer in DIY and got very high results. He would have quite the diatribe for those dropping funds like that. Learned a lot from that old man and picked up WW tips too.
Roger

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of Jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your rear tomorrow.

9-11 Never forget
Roger,  I would suggest you consider spending your money on more tools.  While I agree that when you are using the saw blade to align the blade to the miter slot, the blade itself may not be flat or true, but many of us solve that problem by drawing a small circle on the blade, just below the teeth, and rotate that back and forth and make sure the indicator is on that spot. Although the plate may give you 12 inches of distance, again, if you mark near the teeth on a 10 inch blade,  you are not gaining $200 worth of extra precision for the extra few inches of length.

I also see that they claim that it can be used to register 90 degrees.  Unlike aligning the blade to the miter slot, which you may only do a few times during the life of the saw, aligning to 90 is much more common.  I use a digital tilt box and find it is very accurate, and much quicker than taking off the blade, putting on the alignment plate, checking for 90 then reinstalling the blade and i doubt I would use the alignment plate each time I reset to 90.
How many times are you going to use the gauge? Unless you're in the business of fixing saws, the gadget is not worth spending so much money on. Youtube has tons of homemade kits if you dont trust the tried and true combo square method.

Between checking and adjusting, the latter part is the real pain depending on what saw you have. I might spend the $200 if the gauge actually helped simplify the adjustment process.

Simon
Mine is made by CMT, was no where near $200, hard to tell now. Its 10" diameter ground steel.
One of the best set up tools I've ever bought, works on the ts, ras and 2 miter saws.

Ed
(01-30-2023, 07:20 PM)barryvabeach Wrote: Roger,  I would suggest you consider spending your money on more tools.  While I agree that when you are using the saw blade to align the blade to the miter slot, the blade itself may not be flat or true, but many of us solve that problem by drawing a small circle on the blade, just below the teeth, and rotate that back and forth and make sure the indicator is on that spot. Although the plate may give you 12 inches of distance, again, if you mark near the teeth on a 10 inch blade,  you are not gaining $200 worth of extra precision for the extra few inches of length.

I also see that they claim that it can be used to register 90 degrees.  Unlike aligning the blade to the miter slot, which you may only do a few times during the life of the saw, aligning to 90 is much more common.  I use a digital tilt box and find it is very accurate, and much quicker than taking off the blade, putting on the alignment plate, checking for 90 then reinstalling the blade and i doubt I would use the alignment plate each time I reset to 90.

^^^^^^  Save your money for something you don't have.

John
(01-30-2023, 03:51 PM)RogerD Wrote: I see that Woodpeckers has a new table saw surface ground steel alignment plate along with a stainless steel 90-degree triangle for table saw alignment costing $200.00. I know that other companies have similar plates for about half the cost. I was wondering whether a 10 inch diameter plate glass disc with a 5/8 diameter arbor hole would an inexpensive alternative. Also, would a 10-inch 3/8 thick diameter aluminum plate that is face turned on a lathe so that both surfaces are parallel on both sides accomplish aligning a table saw? Any answers or experience would be appreciated.

https://www.amazon.com/CMT-299-112-00-Ta...B000P4LRMG

[font="Amazon Ember", Arial, sans-serif]CMT 299.112.00 10" Table Saw Balance Blade & Sanding Disc Set 5/8" Bore
[/font]

[font="Amazon Ember", Arial, sans-serif]Visit the CMT Store[/font]

[font="Amazon Ember", Arial, sans-serif][i]4.5 out of 5 stars[/i]    121 ratings[/font]
[font="Amazon Ember", Arial, sans-serif] [/font]
[font="Amazon Ember", Arial, sans-serif]15 answered questions[/font]

[font="Amazon Ember", Arial, sans-serif]
Was:
$35.04$35.04 Details
Price:
$30.00$30.00 [/font]
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Thank you all for your thoughts and recommendations.