New Workbench Slab Top
(02-03-2023, 10:40 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Why don't you rip them to 3" wide and then edge glue them?  Would be a lot easier than trying to glue 2 ft wide slabs.  

John

Because they are already edge up . that would make then face up, not what he wants for his workbench.
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
(02-03-2023, 12:10 PM)Woodshop Wrote: Because they are already edge up . that would make then face up, not what he wants for his workbench.

Not something I'd be overly concerned about.  It's likely there's a mix of grain orientation in the slabs he now has.     

John
(02-03-2023, 10:40 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Why don't you rip them to 3" wide and then edge glue them?  Would be a lot easier than trying to glue 2 ft wide slabs.  

John

Kind of defeats the original intent of this thread IMO. I'd just be building another top from scratch, basically. I'll probably have to rethink this one.

Doug
I would not be comfortable using regular yellow glue (e.g., Titebond) in this application. I'd be nervous about being able to get enough clamping force to adequately adhere the glue (that's a lot of square inches!), especially for a hard work surface like a workbench. I also think it'd be extremely difficult to get the two surfaces flat enough relative to each other to get a tight mating surface over the entire area. You might end up with a solidly mated for joint (decently likely to be good enough), or it might give out over time as you work on it, depending on how good you can get both flatness and clamping pressure. But I like to overdo things.

I would be fine using epoxy in this application, just clamping enough to hold things in place. I'd vote for a good epoxy with a tiny bit of flexibility, like West System G/Flex, which also has a fairly long working time, which is useful here.

Tyler
(02-04-2023, 09:41 AM)OneStaple Wrote: I would not be comfortable using regular yellow glue (e.g., Titebond) in this application. I'd be nervous about being able to get enough clamping force to adequately adhere the glue (that's a lot of square inches!), especially for a hard work surface like a workbench. I also think it'd be extremely difficult to get the two surfaces flat enough relative to each other to get a tight mating surface over the entire area. You might end up with a solidly mated for joint (decently likely to be good enough), or it might give out over time as you work on it, depending on how good you can get both flatness and clamping pressure. But I like to overdo things.

I would be fine using epoxy in this application, just clamping enough to hold things in place. I'd vote for a good epoxy with a tiny bit of flexibility, like West System G/Flex, which also has a fairly long working time, which is useful here.

Tyler

Hi Tyler,

I tend to agree with everything you've said here. John, who has worked extensively with epoxy suggested the same thing. I have not worked with epoxy very much; small projects but nothing on this scale. I looked at these slabs last week and was not able to see much detail. Poor lighting and things stacked against them. I think the key will be how flat they are. My friend, who built them many years ago, along with his employees said they were very flat. If they are it might be worth pursuing with epoxy. If not the best plan may just be to build a top from scratch with new material.

Doug
(02-01-2023, 11:05 PM)Tapper Wrote: …couple of red oak slabs that might work. The only problem is they are only 1 1/2" thick, thinner than …
Worst case:
Couldn’t you use some temporary screws from the bottom to clamp them while the glue dries?
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
If you go new, check out perfectplank.com Bought a 3.5” thick top, 30”x72” for less than the maple would have cost. They surface to 120grit as well.
Every day find time to appreciate life. It is far too short and 'things' happen. RIP Willem
(02-04-2023, 01:25 PM)MichaelS Wrote: If you go new, check out perfectplank.com  Bought a 3.5” thick top, 30”x72” for less than the maple would have cost. They surface to 120grit as well.

Thanks for the tip (never heard of them before). Took a look at their web site and they now offer finger-jointed maple up to 1 7/8" thick - you say you bought a 3 1/2 " thick top - was that recently?

Doug
I've never used them, but they say they do custom sizes (implying width and length, rather than thickness). Doug, if you ask for a quote on a thicker one, I'd be curious to know what they say.

Tyler
(02-04-2023, 04:01 PM)OneStaple Wrote: I've never used them, but they say they do custom sizes (implying width and length, rather than thickness). Doug, if you ask for a quote on a thicker one, I'd be curious to know what they say.

Tyler

Hi Tyler,

I'll probably give them a call on Monday (looks like they are open M-F only). Will post what I find out.

Doug