Cross Cut Blade Recommendation
(02-07-2023, 10:45 PM)Tapper Wrote: You've mentioned a totally different factor than the one I interpreted. I thought the responder was saying that Freud blades do not hold their sharpness as long as the CMT or others, NOT that they had a smaller amount of carbide as to be able to be sharpened less times than others.

Doug

Ok, I reread the original post. Obviously I interpreted it differently. I do see it the same way that you did. Come to think of it, I do believe he is correct. Now that I think about it, our blades don't retain their sharpness as long as some of the other brands mentioned.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
I like the Tenryu Gold Medal better than any blade I've used. No need for more than one blade, it does it all, and well. The only downside is that it's an odd thickness, less than a full kerf and more than a thin kerf.

*I see that Tenryu does make a full kerf kerf Gold medal, I've never used it.
(02-02-2023, 08:23 PM)Mike 55 Wrote: Hi Guys,

I need some recommendations for a good cross cut blade for my 10” tablesaw. I have a Forest combo and a Freud rip blade that serve their purpose but a dedicated cross cut would be great.

Thanks,

Mike

I keep a 60 tooth Diablo in my ts and ras. Have a Rigid 90 tooth that I save for polished cuts.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
(02-07-2023, 10:50 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: I think you'll find Freud do not have the longevity of sharpness, that's the main reason I've quit using them.

My go to brand is CMT, there are many others non premium $$ like Tenryu, Amana, etc.

That could be true, but most hobbyists won't dull a blade for several years if only cutting solid wood, so it becomes a value proposition.  I'd never make out with a Forrest Blade or any other that cost 2 or 3 times the price of a Freud, when I can get a blade resharpened for $15 every few years.  

Composite products like Melamine are the things that quickly dull a blade.  

FWIW, the best crosscut blade I've had on my TS is a HiATB from Popular Tools, the LM1080X, I think.  Amazing cut quality on hardwoods up to 1" and all sheet goods, including two-sided Melamine.  At around $100 it's a great deal. I like Freud blades, too, especially the Ultimate Cutoff Blade, but the Popular Tools one is noticeably better.  

John
I looked for who now sells Popular Tools blades.  The one I have I bought at Dynamic Saw several years ago where I take my blades to get sharpened.  One source I found is Specialty Tools.  I scrolled through the Popular Tools blades and saw several at amazingly low prices.  I ended up buying two blades for less than $25; the shipping cost almost as much.  You might want to check them out after visiting  Popular Tools website to determine which blade you want.  

No affiliation with either company, just a happy user of a Popular Tools blade passing along info.  

John
(02-02-2023, 08:23 PM)Mike 55 Wrote: Hi Guys,

I need some recommendations for a good cross cut blade for my 10” tablesaw. I have a Forest combo and a Freud rip blade that serve their purpose but a dedicated cross cut would be great.

Thanks,

Mike

I recently got a set of the new Dimar blades from Israel that Whiteside is selling. All are very good blades, the crosscut blade was especially nice with virtually no fibers left behind. 

You can see my review here: https://www.woodcademy.com/product-revie...-whiteside

Pricing is right too, comparable with Frued. I used to do a lot of video for Frued, have a number of their blades and like them. The Dimar are better in my opinion.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
(02-07-2023, 09:27 PM)museumguy Wrote: Absolutely. I've been in a commercial woodworking setting for 40 years. If you look at industrial blades, the carbide is much thicker. The reason is to get more sharpening's, among other things. 

i believe the grade of the carbide used comes into play too.  back when i was framing houses there were some brands of blades that wouldnt last one house. teeth chipping just cutting construction lumber.
(03-08-2023, 09:13 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I looked for who now sells Popular Tools blades.  The one I have I bought at Dynamic Saw several years ago where I take my blades to get sharpened.  One source I found is Specialty Tools.  I scrolled through the Popular Tools blades and saw several at amazingly low prices.  I ended up buying two blades for less than $25; the shipping cost almost as much.  You might want to check them out after visiting  Popular Tools website to determine which blade you want.  

No affiliation with either company, just a happy user of a Popular Tools blade passing along info.  

John

Carbide Processors in Washington state is also a Popular Tools dealer.  The two i've puchased are top-notch.  No affiliation, but good folks to deal with and very capable at answering questions.
earl
(03-08-2023, 09:13 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I looked for who now sells Popular Tools blades.  The one I have I bought at Dynamic Saw several years ago where I take my blades to get sharpened.  One source I found is Specialty Tools.  I scrolled through the Popular Tools blades and saw several at amazingly low prices.  I ended up buying two blades for less than $25; the shipping cost almost as much.  You might want to check them out after visiting  Popular Tools website to determine which blade you want.  

John

Interesting.  I got an email today from Specialty Tools to tell me they could not honored the price of the two blades I ordered last evening.  It seems someone working on their website hosed up some of the pricing.  So that explains why blades that normally cost $100 were listed at less than $15.  Oh well, it was almost a great deal. I didn't press them to honor the pricing; we all hose up now and then.  

John
(03-09-2023, 08:14 AM)tomsteve Wrote: i believe the grade of the carbide used comes into play too.  back when i was framing houses there were some brands of blades that wouldnt last one house. teeth chipping just cutting construction lumber.

Chipped carbide teeth does not necessarily mean cheep carbide. The wrong grade may have been used. In the metal working industry there are many formulations of carbide. Some can take an extra keen edge but may be brittle and prone to chipping. Some are formulated for impact resistance but mainly due to the size of the carbide grains will not take as keen an edge.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!