What Drawer Slide to Use?
Hi Guys,

I’m in the process of reviewing plans to build a Shaker Lingerie Chest and a Shaker Dresser. The plans call for wooden guides for the drawers, something that I would hate to do. Both will have inset drawers so I believe there is no way to mount full extension side mount slides. Is it possible to do a undermount? If so, what model slide would you suggest? I’ve installed these with a overlay drawer but never with a inset. I’m sure I’m over thinking this. I’m concerned about getting the top, bottom and sides even.

Thanks,

Mike
I have used Blum undermount slides for inset drawers with good results. They were the soft close/self closing model (I think they were "Tandem" slides). Used a false front to cover the small side/bottom gap created by the part mounted to the cabinet side and bottom.

I've done drawers with full extension slides and inset drawer faces.  This is an example:

I made the drawer boxes and set them back to allow room for an inset front.  Really no different than overlay drawer fronts.  I allowed the space for the slides so that it wasn't easily visible from the front.  I fitted the actual drawer box first and made sure it was operating well.  Then I fitted the fronts carefully; easy use of a block plane to get the fit just right and then attached to the drawer box.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
(02-05-2023, 08:35 PM)Mike 55 Wrote: "Both will have inset drawers so I believe there is no way to mount full extension side mount slides."

Not sure I follow this. I have built a number of inset drawers w/ side mounted, full extension slides.

The simplest method is to build a separate drawer box sized for side mounted slides and then attach the inset drawer front.

On thing to consider (and I just went thru this on a project I am building) is that under-mounted sldies can chew up anywhere from one to one and a half inches off the drawer height – so take this into consideration.
As to your question – I have used both Accuride and KV slides. IMO both are very good – the KV’s a bit more affordable.
As they said, you can use side mounts for inset drawers, undermounts as well. Are you concerned about the esthetics of slides on a Shaker piece? Anyway, one thing I noticed when I built a bath vanity and used undermount slides was the weight.....lots of them (I had 8 sets on this vanity) can really add on the pounds. Another thing I've seen done was to use side mount slides, and lay them flat under the drawers....making them undermount (sort of). I've not tried this, and  don't know if I'm recommending it but it can be done.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Side mount slides in furniture are not very attractive and give the impression of factory made furniture.

Just my 2¢
(02-06-2023, 12:43 AM)Don_M Wrote: Not sure I follow this. I have built a number of inset drawers w/ side mounted, full extension slides.

The simplest method is to build a separate drawer box sized for side mounted slides and then attach the inset drawer front.

On thing to consider (and I just went thru this on a project I am building) is that under-mounted sldies can chew up anywhere from one to one and a half inches off the drawer height – so take this into consideration.
As to your question – I have used both Accuride and KV slides. IMO both are very good – the KV’s a bit more affordable.

Don,

The height is my main concern for using undermount slides. The drawers are all 6 1/8" as planed. That's using 1/4" from the bottom to slide the bottom of the draw. I was hoping to do dovetails and not use a false front. But from the feedback I'm seeing it's not going to happen. I need to work this out before I build the carcass. 

How much real easte do the undermount slide typically take? 

Thanks

Mike
(02-05-2023, 09:32 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: I have used Blum undermount slides for inset drawers with good results. They were the soft close/self closing model (I think they were "Tandem" slides). Used a false front to cover the small side/bottom gap created by the part mounted to the cabinet side and bottom.

Philip,
That looks awesome! The reveal around the entire drawer is outstanding. It’s exactly what I want to do. I wish I did not have to do the false front. No big deal.

How much clearance did you need to give for the slide on the bottom? Typically I do ¼” but I’m sure the height of the slide is much more.

Thanks,

Mike
(02-06-2023, 07:18 PM)Mike 55 Wrote: "How much real easte do the undermount slide typically take? "

Well according to the technical sheet both the KV and Accuride under-mount slides require a minimum of 1-5/16" in clearances (which includes 1/4" clearance on the top of the drawer sides - which seems a bit excessive to me) in addition to the drawer bottom thickness.

So assuming a 1/2" or even 3/8" drawer bottom - your 6-1/8" drawer just became a 4 - 5/16" or 4- 3/8" drawer.
(02-06-2023, 07:27 PM)Mike 55 Wrote: Philip,
That looks awesome! The reveal around the entire drawer is outstanding. It’s exactly what I want to do. I wish I did not have to do the false front. No big deal.

How much clearance did you need to give for the slide on the bottom? Typically I do ¼” but I’m sure the height of the slide is much more.

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks! I measure approx. 1/2" between the bottom edge of the drawer side and the base of the cabinet. If you go to Blum website they have excellent drawings that show you all the required clearances.