A puzzlement - any ideas?
(02-06-2023, 12:37 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: Wondering if it's a number 12. Stanley tools used a #12 thread on mainly the hand planes.
Odd size for sure.
If I think of it I can caliper a #12 stud on one of my planes tomorrow.
It's been a while since I've restored a plane, and don't remember if a #12 is smaller or bigger than 1/4"

FYI. A 12-24 is slightly smaller than 1/4-20 thread. Also an M6 x 1 is .236" dia. with about 25 threads per inch; a 12-24 is .216" dia. with 24 threads per inch. They're too close for me to tell the difference by eye.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(02-06-2023, 10:34 AM)GaryMc Wrote: A bit more info - this morning I calipered the insert (that would be the inside of the threads) and measured slightly less than 1/4 inch - 0.245 to be exact.  Peering in there revealed very fine threads so I suspect the diameter of the screw would be no more than 5/16".  Neither coarse nor fine thread will even start in there, though.

It occurred to me that I have a full set of SAE and metric taps so the next step will be to see if anything will screw in there easily.  More later.

O.K., I think I figured it out.  M7 tap did not work, but a 1/4-20 fit although loosely.  So I tried several bolts and found the 1/4-20s do grab although loosely.  It appears that the insert threads have been worn down to slightly oversize.  Interesting that a brass bolt does seem to fit better.  I will see whether the thread grab is enough to hold the mirror in place.  If not, maybe a thin coat of silver solder on the bolt threads might help?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lct-28654
Not cheap, but this has worked for me in similar cases.  Badly worn threads that just would fit anything well. 

It's Loctite, but not thread locker.  Thread repair.
Get some JB Weld. Use a small pick to force it into the threads. Put wax on a 1\4-20 bolt and chase the threads. Back the bolt out and allow the JB to dry. Problem solved.
Roger

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of Jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your rear tomorrow.

9-11 Never forget
(02-08-2023, 09:47 PM)firefighter Wrote: Get some JB Weld. Use a small pick to force it into the threads. Put wax on a 1\4-20 bolt and chase the threads. Back the bolt out and allow the JB to dry. Problem solved.

Now there's an idea maybe I can use, since I have JB Weld and wax.   I am awaiting the large mushroom-cap knobs from Amazon and then can get on with it.  I was also going to order new inserts except the minimum-sized pack was 10, I only need two, and cannot think of any other use for the excess.  The local Lame Depot shows them in packs of two, but like the brass hanger bolts they said they had, were nowhere to be found.

How do I get into these "restore" projects when there are so many ideas making new stuff, where part of the design is knowing what hardware will be available?