This Old House 40 Year Anniversary
(02-08-2023, 09:50 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: As Ed said, no BS stuff with their production. No gimmicks, just what down to earth woodworking needs to be.

Simon

Over the years, their tools have changed quite a bit.  I notice a lot more use of Festool track saws, Domino's, and even SawStop.  You see CNC every once-in-awhile, and laser scanning of cabinetry to get a 3D model for the countertop folks.  I think for the most part, they are still doing things the traditional way, however.  

TOH has always been one of the shows to incorporate new home construction technologies as well.  You didn't see foam insulation in Season 1.  Radiant heating, basement waterproofing, fiber optic cameras to inspect drain pipes, off-site CNC for pre-built structures, etc.  A lot of the new products you see being used on TOH are donated by the manufacturer.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(02-08-2023, 05:11 PM)GaryMc Wrote: Ah, memories!  In the mid-'90s I started a branch office in Savannah, SC to service a contract with the local Corps of Engineers office.  After one visit (1996, I think) on boarding the plane there was none other than Norm in his classic plaid shirt with rolled-up sleeves, talking to his seat mate who I did not recognize and may have been one of the production staff.  As I walked by I caught Norm's eye, gave him a salute, and said "Must be something going on in Savannah."  He said, "Yes, seven episodes starting soon."

On a subsequent visit I made it a point to go by the old Italianate house they had restored. 

Over the years I got a lot of ideas from NYW, putting on my own spin rather than using the available "measured drawerings."

Maybe Savannah, GA?

Doug
At least they toned it down on the things they forced the home owner to buy. Gone are the home theater and fancy self darkening windows. I actually stopped watching for quie a while because of unrealistic demands on the HO.
Roger

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of Jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your rear tomorrow.

9-11 Never forget
(02-09-2023, 09:00 AM)Tapper Wrote: Maybe Savannah, GA?

Doug

##@!%! Of course, Doug!  "Georgia (should be) on my mind!"
That was a great show! Brought back good memories for me too. As a side note; One of my customer's sister in law was on the show. She said Bob Villa stole all of her lines too.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"