Help needed for Little Lending Library build
Help needed for Little Lending Library:  

I used MDO (outdoor) 3/4" plywood for a neighborhood lending library.  It turned out well, but the door I built moves quite a bit with the weather changes, so I want to build and upgrade to a better door.  MDO is really durable, but it is still plywood; so it's not ideal for joinery.  Can anyone help me with designing a door that has a large plexiglass window?  Finish will be exterior latex paint.

The door I am using now is qtr-sawn white oak with mortise and tenon corners.  That wood moves too much seasonally to maintain a good snug fit.  PVC lumber would look good; but how do I join the corners?
I used PVC lumber to trim out windows in a shower.
You could use half lap joints and PVC glue, or miters with glue and stainless steel trim screws.

(02-07-2023, 08:14 PM)Mike Brady Wrote: Help needed for Little Lending Library:  

I used MDO (outdoor) 3/4" plywood for a neighborhood lending library.  It turned out well, but the door I built moves quite a bit with the weather changes, so I want to build and upgrade to a better door.  MDO is really durable, but it is still plywood; so it's not ideal for joinery.  Can anyone help me with designing a door that has a large plexiglass window?  Finish will be exterior latex paint.

The door I am using now is qtr-sawn white oak with mortise and tenon corners.  That wood moves too much seasonally to maintain a good snug fit.  PVC lumber would look good; but how do I join the corners?

A spline works well. I use my biscuit tool to cut the slot. This adhesive works better than plumbing PVC cement.
Red Hot, white;    https://www.acehardware.com/departments/...lsrc=aw.ds
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
White oak, even quartersawn, does move quite a bit seasonally.  But frame and panel construction shouldn't move much if the stiles are 2-1/2" or less.  Also, PVC moves quite a bit, too, more than you might first think.  That's why siding is fit tight in the Summer, but loose in the Winter, just like one would do making wood furniture.  So, this leads me to wonder how you have the door fit into the library.  It would be best to design it so seasonal movement is a non-issue in how well it seals.  Think house door construction where the door sits in a frame with a reveal all around, and the inside of the door presses against the weather seals.  That approach allows the door to expand and contract as it wants w/o binding or losing its weather resistance.  

John
(02-09-2023, 10:23 AM)jteneyck Wrote: White oak, even quartersawn, does move quite a bit seasonally.  But frame and panel construction shouldn't move much if the stiles are 2-1/2" or less.  Also, PVC moves quite a bit, too, more than you might first think.  That's why siding is fit tight in the Summer, but loose in the Winter, just like one would do making wood furniture.  So, this leads me to wonder how you have the door fit into the library.  It would be best to design it so seasonal movement is a non-issue in how well it seals.  Think house door construction where the door sits in a frame with a reveal all around, and the inside of the door presses against the weather seals.  That approach allows the door to expand and contract as it wants w/o binding or losing its weather resistance.  

John

Thanks for all of the above guidance.  This is just what I hoped would come from my post.  I will undoubtedly use some or all of each response.

The neighborhood really likes the Little Library.  I'll post a pic when I'm done, but it is still very much winter here.