what filter do you use for drinking water?
So looking to get an (under-sink) water filter for our drinking water. 

It's my understanding that a reverse osmosis system is best, but from experience I'd say it's almost too good as it removes too many minerals and you're left with almost distilled water. Plus the process wastes water and the system loses pressure when a lot of water is dispensed at one time. So an RO system isn't completely out of consideration, but not top on my list. I think I'd rather just use a system that just uses a system of carbon-activated filters.

So outside of RO systems, what system/brand do you use for filtering drinking water? Would you recommend it and why?

Thanks for your time in responding.
Ray
While I no longer have it (the house) for 22 years we used an Omni water filter after the softener to remove some tste/odor, and I had one in front of the softener as well, but it had a sediment filter in it. No magic as to why I chose it, it was readily available....and I could get the filters at discount outlets. I had to change the charcoal filter roughly once a month, the sediment filter was quite a bit less...maybe every 6 months. We've moved twice since then and I'm back in a house with very hard water. I'm considering reverse osmosis for this place.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(02-14-2023, 01:05 PM)DogwoodTales Wrote: So looking to get an (under-sink) water filter for our drinking water. 

It's my understanding that a reverse osmosis system is best, but from experience I'd say it's almost too good as it removes too many minerals and you're left with almost distilled water. Plus the process wastes water and the system loses pressure when a lot of water is dispensed at one time. So an RO system isn't completely out of consideration, but not top on my list. I think I'd rather just use a system that just uses a system of carbon-activated filters.

So outside of RO systems, what system/brand do you use for filtering drinking water? Would you recommend it and why?

Thanks for your time in responding.

Has your water been tested and what are you wanting to remove ?  Roly
Are you going to have a separate faucet/dispenser for just the drinking water ?

If not , you're going to need a lot of throughput in order to keep up with the 2.2gpm flow of the typical kitchen faucet.  That means a BIG filter usually and something to keep in mind if you go RO because it has a tank and once the tank is empty - you'll have to wait.
Yes to a separate faucet for just the drinking water.
This is city water, so it’s already potable. Just want to remove the chlorine they add and other potential contaminations.
Thiis is for our new/used house we’re moving into soon. The place I’m at now has an RO system and while it’s good, like I said above it’s too good for my taste (pun intended) and I don’t like the reduced flow if you need more than a gallon or so in short order.
Ray
We have two stage filter system: a charcoal filter in front of a ceramic filter. The ceramic filter (Doulton) can be cleaned and reused. There's separate tap for the filtered water. During the summer our water comes from the Willamette river with Eugene dumping in upstream.
Sad
I also have an Omni whole house filter with a charcoal cartridge.  It does a good job by my taste standards of removing the algae and overdosed chlorine smells we sometimes get in the Summer in our city water.  I change the cartridge about every 3 months, or when I taste the water being off.  

John
(02-14-2023, 02:47 PM)Roly Wrote: Has your water been tested and what are you wanting to remove ?  Roly

This is important. Most people fail to figure out the problem before spending to fix it.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

R. O. filters remove every mineral, then you have to add a cartridge to put some back in. Plus, they waste so much water, my water bill went up a lot with a R.O. I have a three filter unit that removes everything I need including the poison fluoride
pure-earth.com
(02-15-2023, 07:17 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: This is important. Most people fail to figure out the problem before spending to fix it.

I get it, but testing also seems to be rather superfluous for my purposes.  I'm just filtering drinking water from an already potable city water supply and with almost certainty I'll end up spending the same money on the same system, but with the added cost of testing... but then again it would be nice to know what's in the water supply. I'll give it some consideration and maybe have it tested (depending on the cost), but only for curiosity sake.

With that said, do you have any suggestions for reliable and independent water testing?
Ray