what filter do you use for drinking water?
(02-15-2023, 09:44 AM)woodworker501 Wrote: R. O. filters remove every mineral, then you have to add a cartridge to put some back in. Plus, they waste so much water, my water bill went up a lot with a R.O. I have a three filter unit that removes everything I need including the poison fluoride
pure-earth.com

wtf - malwarebystes blocked that site?!

Yeah, I wouldn't bother with an RO unless I was drinking cistern water in which case I could drain the excess (which at least would already be carbon filtered) back into the cistern.
Ray
(02-15-2023, 09:48 AM)DogwoodTales Wrote: I get it, but testing also seems to be rather superfluous for my purposes.  I'm just filtering drinking water from an already potable city water supply and with almost certainty I'll end up spending the same money on the same system, but with the added cost of testing... but then again it would be nice to know what's in the water supply. I'll give it some consideration and maybe have it tested (depending on the cost), but only for curiosity sake.

With that said, do you have any suggestions for reliable and independent water testing?

I'm just trying to figure out what you want filtered out of the water so you get the right filter. Most point of use filters only filter particulates. Charcoal filters do a little more and can help with odors and help a little with iron. What are you trying to filter out of the water?

In my case, I did a DIY water test from the hardware store. We're on a well. It shows bacteria, iron, copper, PH and a few other things. So I bought a system that fixes the PH and cleans out the iron. I do have a whole house filter for particulates before the treatment system.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(02-15-2023, 09:48 AM)DogwoodTale Wrote: With that said, do you have any suggestions for reliable and independent water testing?

The county health dept. should be able to do the test at a really reasonable cost...at least they do in Ohio.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Primarily chlorine and general particulates with the added benefit of filtering out other potential contaminates. Given the spillage in NE Ohio that's working it's way down river to my area the "potential" is suddenly a greater concern than it was just yesterday.

I just found out from a plumber in our company that he has a contact with one of our vendors who has access to test records on water supplies everywhere. While that won't be a test of the supply to my specific house it will reflect what's in the supply in my area. So that will probably be good enough.

thanks for the replies and discussion. One thing I'm now considering that I wasn't going into this discussion is a whole house filter. From what I see it's not that much more $ than the equivalent of just an under-sink mounted water filter for just the drinking water.
Ray
I've been using these lately on our projects.   Clean look; easy install + easy filter change; long life; and doesn't break the bank.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/A-O-Smith-Main-...1001160262
I have used a Home Master Reverse Osmosis system that I purchased through Amazon for the last 10 years and it has been outstanding. The system I recommend to others is their TMAFC-ERP. This system has larger water lines, a non-electric permeate pump that delivers more water and less waste and easy maintenance with tool less filter cartridge replacement. This system often goes on sale and just last week was $286.66. I don’t know of a better overall system for the money. Mine feeds a drinking water faucet that I installed on my kitchen sink and my refrigerator to make ice and deliver chilled water. I located the system in my basement and fed the water lines up to where I needed them. Very easy installation and the extra hose lengths and fittings required were purchased at the local hardware store.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
I try to avoid under sink installs. They’re a pain to get to and little leaks you don’t notice right away can cause a lot of damage. Put it where it’s easy to work on and keep an eye on. Filtering the whole house supply for taste and slight odours is a waste of filter media. If that’s the only concern, just filter the cold supply to the kitchen faucet. No extra tap to clean around or leak and usually better flow to fill a pot or jug.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

I've put in two of these systems, pretty easy install, inexpensive, and both have worked well (for city water).  3 filters, one for particulates and two carbon ones, which gets rid of the chlorine, but not fluoride.

Apec Water Filter
True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools
(02-17-2023, 06:58 PM)blackhat Wrote: I try to avoid under sink installs. They’re a pain to get to and little leaks you don’t notice right away can cause a lot of damage. Put it where it’s easy to work on and keep an eye on. Filtering the whole house supply for taste and slight odours is a waste of filter media. If that’s the only concern, just filter the cold supply to the kitchen faucet. No extra tap to clean around or leak and usually better flow to fill a pot or jug.

Regardless of which system I decide on, putting it in the basement under the kitchen is what I had planned all along. I just said under the sink as that's how they are typically described.
thanks!
Ray
Also keep in mind that replacement filters that need replacing every year or less might be hard to find.