Some utility Stools inspired by Viking tool chest layouts
One of the funner projects I made 5 years ago was a Viking-style tool chest.   It is in my car-trunk all the time now.

It's a durable construction, and it's good to note that metal fasteners (cut nails in this case) are laid out to go perpendicular to the grain wherever possible, and not parallel to the grain.  The fasteners hold very well, and they have less tendency to split the planks.

This year I had domestic requests to make both an indoor stool (new), and an outdoor stool (to replace a simpler one that had held on since 2009).  I decided to use the Viking method of a stair-step style leg, which accepts side slats.   The top pieces I decided to "pre split", and attach to the side-slats rather than directly to the legs.   Dimensions were on-the-fly, using as much wood as I could without going and buying more.   For these jobs I used stainless screws rather than nails.

These are working out nicely, and it's remarkable how comfortable they are for sitting or for foot-rests.   The outdoor one is from a big piece of poplar, primed (red) and painted (green).   The indoor one has stout sassafras legs, and walnut slats/top.

Chris
Great job!  I've never worked with sassafras.  They all came out beautifully.  I have a similar project on the short list.  My middlest son and his wife are expecting their first baby, and I am going to make my Daughter in Law a nursing stool.  It's sort of like your painted stools except it has a slightly slanted top.  I made these for my wife, and some of her friends when they were pregnant.  Now I make them for the next generation.  Baby's due in April so I need to get started.  

Thanks for the inspiration!

DC