Briwax finishing
Are there any experienced Briwax users out there? Please tell me about what you're doing and the results you're getting. I'm currently playing with it on some big box white pine shelving boards. I would not expect to get a uniformly even stain but I am having trouble adjusting areas to even out the tone, which is an unhappy surprise.
I don't want to brag, but some of my wood is on its 2nd or 3rd project!
(02-16-2023, 11:04 AM)DaveLeard Wrote: Are there any experienced Briwax users out there? Please tell me about what you're doing and the results you're getting. I'm currently playing with it on some big box white pine shelving boards. I would not expect to get a uniformly even stain but I am having trouble adjusting areas to even out the tone, which is an unhappy surprise.

As the only finish? Not used it that way.

As a way of adding "age" because I worked it into the corners and into some carving details and grain? Works great. Generally warm it up a bit, easy way if it is cold is to put a teaspoon sized chunk into the middle of a clean cotton rag and wrap it up. As I use the rag like a shellac polisher/mouse/tampon (depending on your native language) the heat of my hand warms it and a comes out through the cotton. You can also warm it up with a heat gun or just work in the garage in summer time. Dip an old tooth brush and use that to work it into carved bits and corners. A 2nd tooth brush or chip brush can be used to feather it out again.

A horsehair shoeshine brush works wonders to polish it and even it out in corners and carvings.

Not used it as the only finish but I would expect it to blotch pretty much like any other stain would on pine. On finished pine (shellac) I've not had that issue.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Pine is notorious for blotchy finishing. Keeping in mind what Rob said, try a coat of shellac before applying any stain. The shellac will help even out the tone of any subsequent stain.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill