Glue-up and Aniline dye
I am about to assemble some dining room chairs, QSWO Mission style. They will match the dining table I built a couple years ago. With all the pieces, I was wondering if using water-soluble aniline dye before glue-up would affect the strength of the glue, Titebond III. All the joints are the wide setting on the domino with oak dominos. After assembly I will use a Watco oil stain then 3 coats of Arm-R-Seal. I would think with a water-soluble dye the glue would not be affected. 
Another question, I have 1/2 quart of dye left over from the table, about 3 years old. Does it go bad? Kept in a mason jar in a cabinet at room temperature.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
(02-16-2023, 03:26 PM)lift mechanic Wrote: I am about to assemble some dining room chairs, QSWO Mission style. They will match the dining table I built a couple years ago. With all the pieces, I was wondering if using water-soluble aniline dye before glue-up would affect the strength of the glue, Titebond III. All the joints are the wide setting on the domino with oak dominos. After assembly I will use a Watco oil stain then 3 coats of Arm-R-Seal. I would think with a water-soluble dye the glue would not be affected. 
Another question, I have 1/2 quart of dye left over from the table, about 3 years old. Does it go bad? Kept in a mason jar in a cabinet at room temperature.

Water soluble dye won't affect the glue joints.  Have at it, but bear in mind that if any glue squeezes out and you wipe it with a wet cloth it will pull up some of the dye.  I would tape off the joints to prevent that if you dye it first.  

I've used dye solutions I've made up at least a year later w/o issue.  Just stir it well and filter it if you see any clumps.  

John
Thank you John. This is my first attempt at building chairs, so far so good.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
(02-17-2023, 02:05 AM)lift mechanic Wrote: Thank you John. This is my first attempt at building chairs, so far so good.

Good luck.  Chairs are full of challenges, but very satisfying, too.  When you think about the stresses on those sometimes very small joints, it's amazing they stay together as long as many do.  It just drives me nuts when I see someone lean back in a chair to the point it lifts the front legs off the floor.  Those usually aren't long term survivors.  

John