Anyone ever built a backgammon set??
Hi,

Been thinking about building one.  Saw a couple of videos on YT and while I got some ideas (make the "discs" out of a large dowel...good idea), building the board posed some issues.  I saw one YTer who built the "triangles", stained them contrasting colors and then glued them to a substrate but there were some gaps.  He then glue a strip to the substrate that separated my side of the board from yours.  The grain ran 90 degrees and there were gaps there too.  I could be more precise and avoid the gaps, but the grain running 90 degrees didn't looks right.

I assume I could cut out the triangles, double-side tape them down, mark them/trace them out with a very sharp knife on to the substrate board and route/chisel out the recesses....but that seems like a lot of work.  Doable, but still a lot of work.

Got any other ideas for making the playing surface?

Making the case, the rack to hold the discs and everything else doesn't present a problem, just making the board does.  Thanks!
Dumber than I appear
Perfect excuse to buy a Shaper Origin!!!!
I have not, but if I were to try I think I'd use a veneer overlay for the playing surface, like this one. I don't do U tube, but I have to think there's a recording of someone building one out there.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Looks like a good solution, Fred. I'm no veneer expert but even I might take a shot at this on were I in the market. Lots of good stuff on YouTube IMO. You have to be judicial in finding what you're looking for, but I've learned a lot about things I've had little knowledge on by watching videos there.

Doug
I started one a few years back.  Got the playing surface done and then life got in the way and didn't get the box done.  I glued up the quarter panels and then resawed them.
[Image: DF696No.jpg][Image: vrEL9kE.jpg]
[Image: J7Eybfs.jpg]
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
Really nice job on that, Cary....very tight joints. Well done!
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Thanks.........................
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
Here's how it is looking so far.  Still to do:

1) I still need to build the separators for the dice/chips and flock that section.  In rummaging thru my paint shelf (see my other post) I found some adhesive and flocking (deep red color) I used on SWMBO's jewelry case I built a few years ago.

2) Also need to attach the hinges (I picked up some brass ones @ Lowe's yesterday, but I might not use them.  Looking for more of a satin/brushed metal look.

3) Need to make/buy a closing mechanism and also a handle.

This pic just has the DO on it...no poly yet.

Attached Files Image(s)

Dumber than I appear
I built a Backgammon Set on Woodcademy TV a couple years back. The episode is free and the plans are also a free download. 

I did the board in veneers, and built the box around that. 

You can see the episode and find the plans here: https://www.woodcademy.com/season2/2019/...n-game-set
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.