Festool Kapex or Makita LS1019L?
(02-23-2023, 03:24 PM)EdL Wrote: I gave up on "sliders" long ago when doing long cuts that needed to be spot on, to much deflection.
After I restored a Delta Super 900 RAS, its become my go to saw. Yes, set-up time is increased but so is accuracy. With the turret arm design it'll cut angles a SCMS or traditional RAS can't even dream about.
It's not for people that need portability....mine is on a wheeled cabinet, I move it out in the open so adjustments are easier.

Ed

I have a Super 990, and it cuts true at 90 degrees.  I really don't move it off of 90, not often anyway.  I did some 45 degree cuts for a friend on a slab, and the saw did return to true 90 with no issue.  

I had to rehab the saw after I bought it, including the fabrication of a new king bolt in the carriage.  Had to press a friend with machinist skills and machines into service for that.

But, like yours, it's not portable.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
I do not have a miter saw of any kind in my shop. Nor do I ever intend to have one in my shop. I do have a Jessem miter gauge with shop pin holes in it and it is accurate to a 1/2 degree and it does return to 90 perfectly every tine. Usually i am at the table saw working and just use it. I do have a DeWalt RAS that the arm is fixed at 90 degrees and The fence is a two piece and it dialed in with the 5 cut rule. I have scales on both and a stop can be set for any length. When needed it is the cats meow, but usually I use the table saw.

I built our Kitchen cabinets and I do not think there is a mitered cut on any of the pieces so I seldom make mitered cuts. It you think about it probably 95% of the cuts are at 90 degrees.  Can I make accurate miter cuts? yes. but I can't remember when I made a compound miter cut Can I? Yes 

I have to go away now but I finish this later. Am I against a miter saw? NO, But there is a difference between need and want.

Tom.
Putting the factor of portability aside for a moment, what does a miter saw do that a tablesaw is ill equipped to do? The answer is of course it depends on what one does, and that will determine whether it is a need or a want.

If all someone does is 90 degree cut, even a tablesaw is a want. Just get a tracksaw or a circular saw and make a jig. I always say you can do everything a drill press does with a cordless drill and some jigs, but that doesn't mean I'll ever consider the drill press a want.

Simon
The OP asked if anyone had experience with two miter saws.  He didn't ask if a table saw or RAS were better choices.  If some of you don't see the need for a miter saw, that's fine, but it doesn't help the OP.  

John
I am sorry again. I thought I posted an apology, but something must have happened because it isn't here. I was wrong in posting what I did. The original post was about two saws and my response should have been about that. And I do apologize for my indiscretion. 

Tom
(03-07-2023, 08:14 PM)tablesawtom Wrote: I am sorry again. I thought I posted an apology, but something must have happened because it isn't here. I was wrong in posting what I did. The original post was about two saws and my response should have been about that. And I do apologize for my indiscretion. 

Tom

No problem Tom .... its all good.