My new router table top
(03-04-2023, 08:53 AM)JDuke Wrote: I cut a new hole in a solid cast iron table saw wing years ago, and drilled it to fit a router base. 

That was my first experience with a table saw wing mounted router.  It would have been really nice to use a lift like your doing, but it wasn’t in the budget back then.

I used a benchtop mill to bore mine out, it certainly would have been easier with the Bridgeport, or the Lagun copy of a Bridgeport that I have now. 

Great idea to make a router out of something that should have been a router table from the start

Duke
I had about 4 years experience with the Lagun milling machine about 40 years ago. As I remember it is a little larger and heavier than a Bridgeport.  I liked it very much and actually preferred to use it rather than the Bridgeport most of the time, especially for heavier cutting.

Tom
Well I managed to finish the top yesterday. Here is a picture of my only raised panel bit in the table. there is about .032 clearance between the bit and the table. 

By cutting away of  the two ribs I was able to get the router up far enough for above table top tool changes.. The post in the pictures is the lift wrench for fast router raises and lowering's

After the pictures I wire brushed the surface with a wire brush in an electric die grinder to get all the years of stuff out of the grinding scratched left from the Blanchard grinder. Then I waxed the top and called it finished.
The top is done, the project  has a ways to go yet. Need a fence and cabinate.

Thanks for looking

Tom
Ambitious project Tom.  

So, time for me to ask again.  How's the CNC learning coming along?  

John
I’m told the Lagun is heavier than the Bridgeport.
I went from a bench top machine to the Lagun so my comparison is a more drastic difference in size and ability.

I also have a retrofit vertical machining center that I can do CNC work on, but I find manual work more efficient for one of work.

That’s great work bringing new life to an older piece of equipment
Nice work!  

Envious of your metal working abilities.  

I also recently upgraded my router table - to save space and also improved quality.  My only skill contribution was to fit a small piece of wood to tightly fit my old Jessematic lift fit the cutout on the Sawstop cast iron extension.

Attached Files Image(s)

(03-05-2023, 10:32 AM)tablesawtom Wrote: I had about 4 years experience with the Lagun milling machine about 40 years ago. As I remember it is a little larger and heavier than a Bridgeport.  I liked it very much and actually preferred to use it rather than the Bridgeport most of the time, especially for heavier cutting.

Tom

I must admit, I saw a craftsman shaper table on marketplace yesterday and thought for a moment about buying it to modify like yours. 

But, I already have 4 cast iron router tables, 2 with lifts and 2 with triton routers, and I also have 2 other router tables, so it might be overkill to add another to the mix. 

Duke
(03-09-2023, 03:04 PM)JDuke Wrote: I must admit, I saw a craftsman shaper table on marketplace yesterday and thought for a moment about buying it to modify like yours. 

But, I already have 4 cast iron router tables, 2 with lifts and 2 with triton routers, and I also have 2 other router tables, so it might be overkill to add another to the mix. 

Duke

I am sorry Duke but I disagree with you 100%. I have 2 cast iron router tables now and one made out of steel and  the one not finished Delta shaper table top I screwed up and got a hole in the wrong place. I am going to get back to it yet this spring.  I am also planning on making a couple not iron toped router table tops for palm routers, that I can clamp in my tail vise on my bench. Easier to change router tables than cutters once they are set. I might even put a lift into my table saw wing next year.

I disagree because there is always room for one more router table. But I guess I have more room than brains.

Tom
You would think I should have enough room, with a 30x60 shop and loft above 10x40 of it.

But in addition to 6 router tables, I have 4 air compressors from 30-80 gallons, a 4x4 CNC router 4x4 CNC plasma, 24”x36” CO2 laser
Vertical machining center, Lagun knee mill, 2 belsaw planers, Sawstop and the list goes on and on as that’s just the bigger stuff.

I’ve even considered building a cabinet with router tables stacked one above the other with a locking drawer slide to slide the lower one out for use.

I did just see another for sale listing locally with a couple Sawstop cast iron extension wings for sale, and considered getting them to make into router wings…

But I’m at the point that even in what should be a good sized shop, I’ve bought myself into a situation where every project is a Tetris of moving machines to use one and then the next.

And I didn’t even mention the 4 dust collectors, as you can tell I subscribe to the theory that if 1 is good 3 is better…
This is where I am to date. It is just setting on the original legs that came with the shaper. I had some casters I could put on so I can temporally move it around.

I plan on now building a cabinet with drawers in it for storage. I have the top taken care of. Due to the fact that chips and such can fall through the webbing and the fact that I do not want the chips in the drawer  I had to raze the cast iron top up high enough to get a Fox Tail brush under it  for chip removal. A Fox Tail is Navy Parlance for a brush with a handle on it If I mount the switch temporally, I will have an operational router table. I plan on shortening up the rods and screw on the fence. It doesn't need to stick out the back that far. It is called resurch and development.

The other router table in the picture I built in the mid 80s before there were router lifts. I sent pictures to a company because of promises that were made and low and behold lifts started showing up for sale about 2 years later.  

I also have another cast iron router table which was a band saw table that I mounter a lift onto, which is not pictured. The one not pictures only has a 2 HP router in it.  One for stiles, one for rails, and one for raised panels.
I’m with you, it’s really nice to have multiple router tables so you can set up one each for rails, stiles and third for raised panels.

I also like the cast iron for routers as well.

I did something similar with a cast iron tablesaw wing a few years ago and mounted a router directly to it. But with 6 other router tables the wing was sold with an extra tablesaw.

Delta had a cast iron topped saw with direct drive some years back that lent itself well to retrofit as a router lift, as the lift mechanism was straight up and down not the typical pivot, that was another router lift table that got sold as it was somewhat of a compromise with the large opening in the table.

Your retrofit to the shaper is looking great, glad your both doing the work and sharing it so someone else can be inspired to follow your footsteps and do the same.