Outgrew the Shelf on my Leatherwork Bench
A Couple years ago I built a shelf for my leatherworking bench in the woodshop to hold all the "stuff" I needed at hand.  Over the last two years I have expanded the work I have been doing and added the tools to improve the quality of my work... I have outgrown the shelf unit I threw together.  The original shelf I in the pic below.  Understand that I didn't put a finish on the shelf as I didn't want to have it affect the tools... and in the climate controlled shop, I wasn't worried about the wood.  I did my best to make a good piece, and did put plugs in the screw holes and  the like... but just didn't worry about sanding to 800 grit, or fancy scroll work.

Now the time has come to replace this shelf, and I played with the idea of HOW I wanted to design the new shelf.  I came up with expanding the shelf to the table's edges, adding about a foot of space to each shelf, to the tool bar at the bottom, and it would also allow me to hook the shelf to the table without drilling into the table top by hooking the shelf to the skirting.  I'd be going up from 24" to 36" as well.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
I spent a couple days sketching out options, as I wanted to include storage in the new tool block for the three mallets, and I needed storage for a number of tools / cutters etc now stored in the drawers of the work table.  Once I knew where I was going I was able to go to home depot and pick up the wood and get started.  If anyone is interested in a build along, I'll post those pics.  Otherwise, watch the space below and I'll post the completed shelf here within the week. 
Big Grin
Jim in Okie
It's nearly done, I put the rails along the back of the upper two shelves.  I'll post the front view of the completed shelf tomorrow, empty, then full.

Jim in Okie
That look very nice , much more room and will give you better organization for sure.
How would putting a finish on it affect the tools?

Stay safe
Steve
(02-25-2023, 09:46 AM)Tankwood Wrote: That look very nice , much more room and will give you  better organization for sure.
How would putting a finish on it affect the tools?

Stay safe
Steve

Depending on the finish and the tools, it could transfer to the tool and then rub off on the leather.  I'd hate to invest hours tooling a project then put a tool to the leather and have some type of finish transfer and when I applied a dye or finish to the leather, it blotched because of it.  Just not worried about a finish on the shelf as it isn't needed.... or worth the risk. 
Smirk

Got out this morning to finish up.  Once I removed all the clamps, I gave a final sanding to remove any glue squeeze out, last pencil marks and to insure the plugs were flush.
Then, for safety, I anchored the shelf to the sides of the bench.

Done.  I loaded 'er up.

Attached Files Image(s)

Jim in Okie
Hung the Optivisor on the left side, my leather strop on the right and most of the tools found a new home.  The benchtop is much cleaner now.
I'm happy and there are open spaces for more tools as they arrive.

Big Grin
Jim in Okie
Nice looking setup Jim - nice job! Will look forward to seeing some more of your leather projects.

Doug
The two latest were slings for the wife and I.  Called thumbhole slings as the hole in the sling lets you control the rifle on your shoulder by RESTING your thumb in the hole.  Anyone who has humped a rifle any distance and has had to fight the sling to keep it on your shoulder knows what a PITA it can be... would appreciate this.  As a former Marine with more than 13 years on active duty... I was intimately familiar with the M16, M14 and Guard Duty as a young Marine with the 12 gauge shotgun marching MILES around the flight lines in the heat and cold.

I was very happy with the way these turned out ... for a hacker.  My carving is improving.  This first sling is the one for the wife's CZ455 .22 she uses on the varmints around the farm.  She is evil with it, and was a Squirrel's worst nightmare in VA when they were raiding the chicken coops for feed.

This second one is for my Ruger American Ranch Rifle in 556.  A tack driver that takes AR mags and will shoot the 556 or 223 rounds.  Coyote Medicine.  The short barrel of the Ranch version fits nicely in the UTV.

Jim in Okie
Went back into the shop this morning and added a rod into the space above the slots and drops to hold the paper towels and the rolls of thread.  Worked out great.  Miss Tina had been on the way to town so she looked for the 5' dowel around 3/4" but no one had one.  She picked up a mop handle instead.  Worked fine.

Jim in Okie