Waterproof engineered hardwood flooring experience?
All,

This is another thread soliciting input on flooring materials for my master bath remodel.  

We are not keen on tiling this large space for various reasons like acoustics, joist construction (24" OC I-beams) and the hardness of tile in a 15x20 space.  Lot of work as well.  

We don't want carpet throughout though we may use it near the entrance by the closets.  

So, we have been looking at various wterproof hardwoods that have come out over the past few years.  

We have samples from many manufacturers and they seem ok as far as we can tell. Also, they would appear to be much less work to install than regular hardwood or tile.  

I wonder if any of you out there have installed any of these, and would be willing to provide information about your experience with the product?

Thank you.
sleepy hollow

(02-25-2023, 12:21 PM)sleepy hollow Wrote: All,

This is another thread soliciting input on flooring materials for my master bath remodel.  

We are not keen on tiling this large space for various reasons like acoustics, joist construction (24" OC I-beams) and the hardness of tile in a 15x20 space.  Lot of work as well.  

We don't want carpet throughout though we may use it near the entrance by the closets.  

So, we have been looking at various wterproof hardwoods that have come out over the past few years.  

We have samples from many manufacturers and they seem ok as far as we can tell. Also, they would appear to be much less work to install than regular hardwood or tile.  

I wonder if any of you out there have installed any of these, and would be willing to provide information about your experience with the product?

Thank you.
Since you have samples make a fresh cut on one side of each sample and soak in water, weigh them down to keep submerged for a week or so and let dry to check for damage.  Also with the samples see how hard it is to scratch if this might be a issue.    Roly
All I know about the waterproof stuff is that you have to install a gasket around the perimeter, under the shoe molding. It also can't be refinished. Read the warranty and installation requirements. They are not "flood proof".
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

I've seen to much water damage on engineered wood floors over the years.
My own house, I won't put it near a water source.
The engineered vinyl stripes that seal together is much safer, and that is what I put down in the kitchen.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I have never been an advocate of using wood of any kind in areas subject to water spills or flooding. IMHO, areas like kitchens or baths should be floored with truly water proof materials like vinyl or tile. If you want the look of wood, there are some vinyl planks on the market that have the wood look. Again IMHO, you can't beat a good quality continuous vinyl; lots of patterns, reasonable cost, absolutely water proof, easy to clean, relatively easy to install, wears well, etc.

We have had engineered wood (plywood) flooring in our living area for many years. It generally has held up well. A few years ago our refrigerator water supply (on the other side of a wall) sprang a very small leak. We didn't discover it for a long time until the water seeped under the wall and buckled the engineered flooring in a corner of the living room. It was a real pita to repair.
Take a strong look at vinyl plank.
Thanks for the suggestions.  I am afraid vinyl is out.  My "supervisor" will never go for it, and I am partial to her opinions I must confess.  

Tile is overkill as the room is just too big for so much tile and I'd have to stiffen that whole area with my 24"OC joists.  Just too much deflection even with a membrane like the thicker Schluter mats.  And then it gets too hard under foot.  I love tile, but not here I don't think.  

I really don't expect the room to have much water on the floor at all.  Near the shower, but then there will be shower mats/rugs to absorb it, and I am sure we'll have rugs in certain spots.  

Other than the shower, there will be two vanity sinks.  Again, just not much if any standing water ever ceated there.  

The shower would be the only possible significant source.  

I guesss we'll keep noodling this one.
sleepy hollow

Vinyl plank flooring comes in a lot of different levels of quality. Maybe you guys just haven’t found the good stuff yet? Get a sample of Flooret Modin LVP. I put this in my home and it’s so much better than solid oak hardwood flooring it’s unbelievable.

https://www.flooret.com/luxury-vinyl-plank-flooring/
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
(03-05-2023, 12:10 AM)Woodenfish Wrote: Vinyl plank flooring comes in a lot of different levels of quality. Maybe you guys just haven’t found the good stuff yet? Get a sample of Flooret Modin LVP. I put this in my home and it’s so much better than solid oak hardwood flooring it’s unbelievable.

https://www.flooret.com/luxury-vinyl-plank-flooring/

I used SMARTCORE interlocking LVT (Lowe's) that's declared 'waterproof' in two bathrooms.  Neither have actually flooded, but both have had too much water sitting on them for too long for my liking.  I think 'waterproof' is probably a reach... but absolutely agree with 'water resistant'.

Comparing LVT/P to LVT/P is fair.  Comparison to solid wood isn't, IMO.
We used LifeProof in our two bathrooms 3 years ago and have been happy with it.