Design question: Straight leg to imitate rattan?
I have a design challenge:  Take 3" square table leg and give it the shape of four bamboo sticks bundled together.  It only needs to mimick the shape, not pass for bamboo. 

I know I can use a round over bit on the four corners to make them round but how would you go about dividing them down the center?  

They do *not* need to be individual cylinders, but need a deep valley down the center of each face.  And it needs to have curved walls. 

Your thoughts?
Semper fi,
Brad

They make router bits that are pointed with rounded edges. I don't recall what they're called, but I know that both Freud and Whiteside make them. It seems likely you could get the same radius on the pointy bit as your roundover to get the job done. Setup could be a challenge as you'd need to get the height of the pointy bit just right.

Good luck.
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
Marcus Aurelius 
(03-06-2023, 09:14 AM)Blaine Wrote: They make router bits that are pointed with rounded edges.  I don't recall what they're called, but I know that both Freud and Whiteside make them.  It seems likely you could get the same radius on the pointy bit as your roundover to get the job done.  Setup could be a challenge as you'd need to get the height of the pointy bit just right.

Good luck.

i THINK they're called "point cutting roundover router bit".  the pics seem like it.  
Yes
I think you're right.
Semper fi,
Brad

This one might produce the look:
https://www.toolstoday.com/v-4901-54172.html
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
You need a bit with a 3/4" radius.  

[Image: AMWts8DcaPTSygqtsuOyeFUU1SWrfVvO32lzLGSD...authuser=1]

Here's one: Link

John
(03-06-2023, 11:42 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I think you're right.

If this is not a production job, might want to take a look at this one:

https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite...ver_anchor

For bits that may only be used once or twice, I usually go to MLCS (plus free shipping!).

Gary
Thanks a bunch, gents.  Ordering bits and gonna try this on some scrap.
Semper fi,
Brad