Need Wisdom of the Group - Shellac over Stain
Need the wisdom of the brain trust.  I'm using an oil based stain over an oil based Varathane sealer (to avoid blotching) on cherry.  Trying to duplicate a prior finish my bride wants on a bookcase over base cabinet.  I plan to finish with oil based poly, cut 50-50 with MS as a wiping varnish.  Last time, the cut poly lifted stain from the work, and I had to let the bulk of it sit and have the stain dry for over a month.  This time my thought is since anything sticks to shellac, that I apply a spit coat of super blonde shellac over the stain to seal it and prevent the stain being lifted by the wiping varnish, but wanted to see if anyone else has tried this rather than doing a test piece.

My gut tells me this should be fine, but I want to avoid unintended consequences.  So, what say y'all about my plan?  thanks.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(03-09-2023, 11:39 AM)Admiral Wrote: Need the wisdom of the brain trust.  I'm using an oil based stain over an oil based Varathane sealer (to avoid blotching) on cherry.  Trying to duplicate a prior finish my bride wants on a bookcase over base cabinet.  I plan to finish with oil based poly, cut 50-50 with MS as a wiping varnish.  Last time, the cut poly lifted stain from the work, and I had to let the bulk of it sit and have the stain dry for over a month.  This time my thought is since anything sticks to shellac, that I apply a spit coat of super blonde shellac over the stain to seal it and prevent the stain being lifted by the wiping varnish, but wanted to see if anyone else has tried this rather than doing a test piece.

My gut tells me this should be fine, but I want to avoid unintended consequences.  So, what say y'all about my plan?  thanks.

It will work if you use rattle can shellac, but I wouldn't wipe or brush on shellac.  I had it pull up some OB stain that I had let dry for several days.  Also, super blonde shellac in the can contains wax.  I wouldn't put poly over it.  Rattle can shellac is wax free.  Hope this helps.  

John
(03-09-2023, 01:32 PM)jteneyck Wrote: It will work if you use rattle can shellac, but I wouldn't wipe or brush on shellac.  I had it pull up some OB stain that I had let dry for several days.  Also, super blonde shellac in the can contains wax.  I wouldn't put poly over it.  Rattle can shellac is wax free.  Hope this helps.  

John

John, thanks for your thoughts.
I've done this, for slightly different reasons, but I also sprayed the shellac over the stain.  I used Sealcoat and a cheap gravity feed spray gun.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(03-09-2023, 01:32 PM)jteneyck Wrote: It will work if you use rattle can shellac, but I wouldn't wipe or brush on shellac.  I had it pull up some OB stain that I had let dry for several days.  Also, super blonde shellac in the can contains wax.  I wouldn't put poly over it.  Rattle can shellac is wax free.  Hope this helps.  

John

I have done this with Johns advise and it works. Use Rattle can, (spray) shellac.
Thanks to everyone for their experiences.
Spraying a light coat of SealCoat over stain is standard procedure for me. You can apply either water based or oil based finishes over that.