A "Different" kind of saw
I tend to rotate saws through, when I am doing projects...gives them a "rest" as it were...
latest project is Box #2..out of the 3 boxes planned from resawn leftovers..

The saw?

Geo. H. Bishop Co.  
Handmade in Cincinnati,OH. 
No.10

Logo also has a seated Greyhound....Might be a Phoenix?

And, just in case the saw plate has been flipped over to use the Rip teeth, there is another logo on that bar.

Saw plate can be slid up or down, depending on the depth you need to cut.   There are un-sharpened teeth at the end of the plate, that the bar uses to grip that end of the plate ( Disston's copy uses a thumbscrew)The lever on the side of the handle locks the bar in place, along with the saw plate.

Right now, it is sawing pins for dovetails, using the fine tooth side of the plate, bar is set to limit the depth to 1/2" deep.  

Ever use one of these saws?
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(03-10-2023, 10:20 AM)bandit571 Wrote: I tend to rotate saws through, when I am doing projects...gives them a "rest" as it were...
latest project is Box #2..out of the 3 boxes planned from resawn leftovers..

The saw?

Geo. H. Bishop Co.  
Handmade in Cincinnati,OH. 
No.10

Logo also has a seated Greyhound....Might be a Phoenix?

And, just in case the saw plate has been flipped over to use the Rip teeth, there is another logo on that bar.

Saw plate can be slid up or down, depending on the depth you need to cut.   There are un-sharpened teeth at the end of the plate, that the bar uses to grip that end of the plate ( Disston's copy uses a thumbscrew)The lever on the side of the handle locks the bar in place, along with the saw plate.

Right now, it is sawing pins for dovetails, using the fine tooth side of the plate, bar is set to limit the depth to 1/2" deep.  

Ever use one of these saws?
yes, I have one exactly like it..
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Yours is the only one of these saws I have ever seen.  Wonder why it didn't catch on more.
(03-10-2023, 12:44 PM)stav Wrote: Wonder why it didn't catch on more.

Because back in the day, if something didn't work properly, or didn't add value, nobody bought them and labeled them as a turd, as fudge made their living with their tools.  Interesting concept, but overall its really a novelty.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I remember going through a flea market back in the 1980's and collecting a pile of interesting tools to buy and coming across one of these.  I held it in my hands for awhile but I ultimately put it back, mostly because I didn't really know what it was, or what I would use it for.  It is a cool idea, I imagine it would replace a staircase saw.  Now I kinda wished I'd spent the $3.00.  But that was the price of a couple of beers and I was thirsty.  

DC
(03-10-2023, 06:06 PM)Admiral Wrote: Because back in the day, if something didn't work properly, or didn't add value, nobody bought them and labeled them as a turd, as fudge made their living with their tools.  Interesting concept, but overall its really a novelty.

Hmmm..good theory , but then again...Disston also made a version of this same saw......might want to look that one up...Disston No. 14....patented the same year as the Bishop saw..1906..
(03-10-2023, 09:25 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Hmmm..good theory , but then again...Disston also made a version of this same saw......might want to look that one up...Disston No. 14....patented the same year as the Bishop saw..1906..

Ha, ha.  Disston would make anything they thought would sell.  check out their old non-saw catalogs.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Mine has a bad habit...of getting a case of the "wiggles" in a cut...Maybe it is all that "extra" saw plate sticking up...making it hard to stay vertical.

Thinking about turning the blade around, to use the rip teeth for a while...still have a couple resaws to do...hmmm...9ppi rip Backsaw?  We'll see

Paid $1 for it a while back...even had it taken out and both edges sharpened up..2 yrs ago...handle does have a nice feel to it...we'll see how it does as a Rip saw....

At least, it is a Made in USA tool...something that seems to count amongst some people here..
"Just hanging around.."

The "Ready Use Rack"   where IF I need a saw, while at the bench, I can just turn around and grab the one I need ....

Sometimes the Disston No. 4 hangs up inside the cabinet...other days it is just being handy...