Finish for cherry
I haven't done a project in cherry for some time.  My daughter asked me to refinish a jewelry box that I made for her about fifteen years ago, so a began lightly block-sanding the imperfections in the current finish, today and am at the point where I need to decide on the new finish.  Fortunately, the light sanding did not remove that rich color that cherry acquires with age.  I most likely back then used Armor Seal mixed with turpentine, and applied with a cloth.  Is that still the way to go on cherry?  Any suggestions will be much appreciated.  I'll try to remember to post a photo when I'm done.
My favorite for cherry is 1/3 BLO, 1/3 spar varnish, 1/3 mineral spirits. The oil emphasizes the dark red cherry. What you used originally is probably almost the same thing.
Mike B.

One thing is for certain though. Whichever method you use, you can be absolutely certain that you are most assuredly doing it wrong.        Axehandle, 2/24/2016
Do not get in to much of a hurry buddy...  Arlin, 5/18/2022
Apology excepted.  TT. 2/25/20223
I like BLO followed up with poly as a top coat. I am not a finishing "guru". I do think the boiled linseed oil, warms the cherry up and gives it a nice color.
The last two pieces I used ArmRSeal over shellac. Think I like that better than oil.
The only finish I use on cherry:

[Image: 61op6huKd8L._AC_SL1000_.jpg]
I've used BLO before, but it does take a long time to cure and can be blotchy. If you're going to use BLO, I recommend a light coat of sealing shellac (blonde, unwaxed shellac) prior to applying BLO. You'll need to wait for the red patina to naturally show up. I have a tool cabinet I made from cherry and it took about 2 years inside the shop for it to age to a beautiful, deep reddish-orange.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(03-14-2023, 02:16 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: The only finish I use on cherry:

[Image: 61op6huKd8L._AC_SL1000_.jpg]

I've been curious about the Osmo finishes. Would this one be food-safe for a salad bowl?
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
I like Antique oil by Minwax. Comes in a red can. Has a lot of BLO but it dries and can be recoated in 24 hours.

Tom
All finish is food safe once it cures.
(03-17-2023, 02:14 PM)tablesawtom Wrote: All finish is food safe once it cures.

As long as it does not dissolve or leach into oil, vinegar, or tomato juice.

I understand the traditional wisdom that you share.

I find myself in trust-but-verify mode for new-to-me types of finishes. Hence, my question about Osmo and its "high solid" in an oil-wax.

Yeah, I spent ~1/2 of my working career in a materials processing lab. Accidentally dissolving a hole through a lead p-trap may have made me overly safety conscious about solvents.
Rolleyes
Sigh
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.