Latest Project : Floating TV Cabinet
This project grew legs quickly. It started as "let's get that center channel speaker off the floor and onto a stand". Then, "How about an under TV cabinet?" followed by "How about a floating TV cabinet?" Next, "Wouldn't some built in LED lighting be a nice touch?". Finally, "Whoa, you can do that with LED lights now"? 

This is the "Before" shot from around Christmas. The middle speaker sat happily in that spot for over 7 years (and had to sometimes put up with the indignation of getting nudged by a Roomba)

The "After" shot. I picked up some beautiful cherry from a St. Pete lumber yard. Luckily, some of it was just about 12" wide when prepped.

I did box joints on the top corners and dados everywhere else.

I installed two power/USB portals. I recessed the one on the cabinet top and flush-mounted the one in the lower middle cubby. I also made a speaker grill that is held in place by neodymium magnets. I had just enough grill cloth left over from redoing the grills on my two (almost 40 years old) Mach One speakers. I attempted to match the form factor of those.

Here is a YouTube video that I made to demo the dynamics of these lights that could not be conveyed in photos.

There is an immersive "DreamView" mode that reacts to the image on the TV screen. There is also a "Music" mode that reacts to the sound in the room
Nice floating cabinet.  Awesome, amazing video!  Makes my floating cabinet look like chopped liver.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I like floating cabinets a lot, and I really like this one.  Nice simple design, thoughtful details, clean work, and a beautiful finish.  The exposed finger joints add a nice touch of craftsmanship and are in keeping with the simple lines of the design.  Dovetails would have looked out of place, IMO.  Really well done.  I can't imagine ever using the LED light feature, though.  

John
Wow! Very nice job.

My niece works in St Pete. What is the name of that lumberyard?
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
I like it: Very Nice!!!
Beautiful work! Thanks for sharing.
Very nice!  Reminds me of a looong time ago in the '70s when I made a "light organ" using red-green-blue colored lamps to respond to stereo Hifi - all analog at that time, of course.  One acquaintance could not watch it - it just blew her mind away.

The only thing I might have considered would be to add a shelf on each side to lift the L-R speakers off the floor (tweets are better the nearer to ear level, plus room under for the Roomba).

What is your intention for the extra shelf space in the cabinet?  It does not look deep enough for most audio/video equipment.
(03-16-2023, 09:14 PM)GaryMc Wrote: Very nice!  Reminds me of a looong time ago in the '70s when I made a "light organ" using red-green-blue colored lamps to respond to stereo Hifi - all analog at that time, of course.  One acquaintance could not watch it - it just blew her mind away.

That would be my wife. She'd have to leave the room and make me promise to never to turn it on again!

Great job on the cabinet!
Very cool.  I really like the large dovetails and the grain.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
(03-16-2023, 05:03 PM)iclark Wrote: Wow! Very nice job.

My niece works in St Pete. What is the name of that lumberyard?

Anderson lumber company