Lamp Part
Good morning.

One of our table lamps was knocked off its table last week and broke a brass coupling that helped hold it all together.  It is 1/2" in outer diameter, and about 3/8" inside diameter; about 1/2" long.  It is threaded on both exterior and interior surfaces.  The design of the lamp has very close fittings in the particular part of the lamp that broke, so I haven't been able to "kluge" a solution from other parts.  

Pic of the broken coupling:

I have been searching for a replacement using Google, perusing web sites, and have been into home improvement stores without success.  I can find plenty of pipe that is threaded on either exterior or on the interior surface, but not both.

Part of the search problem might be terminology; what is this part called?

Anybody have any idea of an online parts house where they might have such a thing?  I thought larger online sources would have an easily sourced part, but it's like wandering in the wilderness.  I think I don't know what to call that part, and so searches are difficult.

Thanks for the assist.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
Try a good hardware store or even Home depot in the lighting department.  they use those to hang ceiling lights
(03-19-2023, 06:34 AM)fixtureman Wrote: Try a good hardware store or even Home depot in the lighting department.  they use those to hang ceiling lights

Are they threaded inside too.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Have you considered buying the threaded tube and trying to tap threads on the inside? My guess is that the threads inside don't have to run all the way though. So maybe just tap as far down as you need on the inside. I'd give that a shot. Find a brass tube so it's easier to tap.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Found a few suggestions on google. Search internally threaded brass . A bunch of lamp parts places popped up. Most were not threaded internally so read carefully. I didn't want to post all of the links. Hopefully you can find them.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
I really did not want to see Jack close the hardware store, but he wanted to retire and I can certainly understand that.

Anyway, I bought a BUNCH of his "stuff" including boxes of lamp parts.

I have two different sizes (and multiples of them) - probably one of them is the one you need.

Send me a PM and I will send both of them to you.  One might work.  The other might not.  Either way you can start your box of lamp parts.
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
(03-19-2023, 07:08 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Have you considered buying the threaded tube and trying to tap threads on the inside? My guess is that the threads inside don't have to run all the way though. So maybe just tap as far down as you need on the inside. I'd give that a shot. Find a brass tube so it's easier to tap.

Neil, the tap and die set I have is an inherited set of dubious quality; I think Dad bought it many years ago off QVC in his "home-shopping" days.  Don't konw that I'm willing to go that way, but, on the other hand, it might be an excuse to get a decent T&D set.

(03-19-2023, 09:46 AM)6270_Productions Wrote: I really did not want to see Jack close the hardware store, but he wanted to retire and I can certainly understand that.

I have two different sizes (and multiples of them) - probably one of them is the one you need.

Send me a PM and I will send both of them to you.  One might work.  The other might not.  Either way you can start your box of lamp parts.

Sending a PM in the next few minutes...thanks.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
if 6270_Productions don't work you might find something here or ask them if they know the name or where you could get it if they don't have it.  
This page looks like it might have what you need if you know your size.  From what you said above the second link might be what you need.  The second link is 1/2" dia, 3/4" long, not sure if it would be the thread size you have but they have other thread sizes with a 1/2" dia.

https://grandbrass.com/reducers/fully-th...-reducers/

https://grandbrass.com/3-4in-long-1-8ips...s-reducer/

https://grandbrass.com/7-16in-long-1-8ip...s-reducer/  (same but 7/16 length)

Another lamp making store, https://www.mylampparts.com/

I also found some by searching for shoulderless threaded adapter.  Have you tried Fastenal?
mark
Ignorance is bliss -- I'm very, very happy
(03-19-2023, 09:46 AM)6270_Productions Wrote: I really did not want to see Jack close the hardware store, but he wanted to retire and I can certainly understand that.

Well, that box had what I needed, even though it was a bit of a "kluge" to get it together.  The lamp is back in service!  Appreciate your great help!
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
Glad you got it to work.  You were right.  I did not find anything at Menard's either.  (On the other hand I did get some very inexpensive - and cheap - plywood for the Elks' kitchen island)
When are you going to get that new metal lathe?

Winkgrin

It was a pleasure to meet you.
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.