Backgammon board is done!!
I finished it this weekend.

Some of the miters aren't perfectly tight (although there are splines there that you can't see for reinforcements) and the flocking came out not as thick as I had hoped (you can see what looks like worn spots in the trays).   Those are 3 magnets used to keep it closed.  Had 2 originally, but added the 3rd for insurance.

Also in the picture the chips don't look all that contrasting but they are.  Funny, but when I first turned the cylinder for the chips and chopped them "meat cutter" style, they turned out too think for the trays and the case wouldn't close.  I then turned another set of blanks but when I finished those, they were too close in color!  3rd times a charm! (and I didn't even venture to the plumbing aisle, but I think the plumbing gods had a say in it!).  So now I have 30+ left over chips of each color.  Thought about creating a checkerboard insert, but the dividing halve would make it a little awkward to play checkers, no?

(do I have the game set up correctly in the last shot?)

Anyways, on to the next project!!

Attached Files Image(s)

Dumber than I appear
(03-20-2023, 08:15 AM)Dumb_Polack Wrote: I finished it this weekend.

Some of the miters aren't perfectly tight (although there are splines there that you can't see for reinforcements) and the flocking came out not as thick as I had hoped (you can see what looks like worn spots in the trays).   Those are 3 magnets used to keep it closed.  Had 2 originally, but added the 3rd for insurance.

Also in the picture the chips don't look all that contrasting but they are.  Funny, but when I first turned the cylinder for the chips and chopped them "meat cutter" style, they turned out too think for the trays and the case wouldn't close.  I then turned another set of blanks but when I finished those, they were too close in color!  3rd times a charm! (and I didn't even venture to the plumbing aisle, but I think the plumbing gods had a say in it!).  So now I have 30+ left over chips of each color.  Thought about creating a checkerboard insert, but the dividing halve would make it a little awkward to play checkers, no?

Nice.
There is no such thing as too much horsepower, free lunch or spare change ~ anonymous

87% of people say their mental health is good to excellent. The rest are sane enough to know they are lying. ~ anonymous

Looks good to me. The chips are pretty close in color, but look less so on the bigger picture.

BTW my solution for perfect miters is to avoid them at all costs.
I like it a lot.  My wife and I used to play backgammon every morning before work.  Don't know why we stopped.  Now I can't even remember how to play it.  

Miters on light colored woods are always challenging.  But they would be much easier to get perfect if you used a shooting board.  I just happen to sell a couple, and even the simplest one would have allowed you to get a great fit.  Why struggle?  

John
Many thanks to FS7 for sending me a nice cherry block for me to make the cherry chips from!
Dumber than I appear
Well done, turned out really nice!
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I love it. I used to play a lot as a kid but as I grew up I never found anyone interested. I might have to try building one of those and challenge myself to a game.
Nice work indeed.  Backgammon was popular with the Marines when I was in, during down time in the Shops when the Aircraft were out flying, or when we were deployed aboard ship.  I never played.  I preferred to read.  They also played a lot of cards... 
Laugh
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Great! This looks great.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Looks great! I’ve always wanted to make one