ceiling fan with light on top?
I'm hoping to find a ceiling fan with lights on the topside of the fan motor housing that shine up onto the ceiling rather than having a fan with lights shining down to the floor. I was thinking that maybe such a thing exists with dimmable LEDs. That would provide us with the softer, indirect lighting when desired as well as a little more headroom under the fan. 
A google search is not helping me find it, so either such a thing doesn't exist or my search words aren't working.
Anyone know of such a thing and where to find it?
If I can't find such a thing, then I'll just get a ceiling fan without lights and then maybe I can just put LED strips on the top of the housing.
thanks
Ray
I found a few. Google: uplight ceiling fan
Thanks!
‘Uplight’… that’s the keyword I wasn’t thinking of
Ray
If you don't find anything ready made that suits you, you might consider making one. My first thought would be to build a small drop down ceiling about the same diameter as the fan blades. Install lights above that focused outward so that the light reflects off of the criling surrounding it. Then hang an unlighted fan from the center of that. This might be one way to do it.
That’s not a bad idea Will
Ray
(03-22-2023, 08:33 PM)DogwoodTales Wrote: That’s not a bad idea Will
The main problem I see with having lights above the fan blades is that moving shadows will be cast or you will get a strobing effect that could be irritating. If you use the drop ceiling idea, be sure to make it as large or larger than the diameter of the fan blades.
Show us some pictures when it's done/
(03-22-2023, 08:49 PM)Willyou Wrote: The main problem I see with having lights above the fan blades is that moving shadows will be cast or you will get a strobing effect that could be irritating. If you use the drop ceiling idea, be sure to make it as large or larger than the diameter of the fan blades.
Show us some pictures when it's done/

I have one with an up light on a ceiling fan in my master bedroom. The ceiling is cathedral and the fan has a 12” down-rod. There are no annoying special effects of lighting being reflected onto the ceiling because the light is above the blades.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
(03-26-2023, 07:48 PM)Woodenfish Wrote: I have one with an up light on a ceiling fan in my master bedroom. The ceiling is cathedral and the fan has a 12” down-rod. There are no annoying special effects of lighting being reflected onto the ceiling because the light is above the blades.

Good to know. Maybe it is because you have the light reflecting off of the ceiling rather than pointing down through the fan blades. Thanks for the comment.
(03-26-2023, 10:30 PM)Willyou Wrote: Good to know. Maybe it is because you have the light reflecting off of the ceiling rather than pointing down through the fan blades. Thanks for the comment.

Yeah, that's what I want to do. Have the light diffused onto the ceiling.
Pointing the lights down would definitely result in a strobe light ... and the headaches that would follow lol

I might try the idea of making my own with a drop-like-ceiling. Maybe mock up something with corrugate first to see what it's like and if we like it.
As I envision this now it would be kinda like a donut shaped drop ceiling with lights illuminating the ceiling above and around and down the fan shaft in the middle.
That seems kinda contemporary or institutional looking. Like something I would see in an office setting. 
I'm not sure if I would like that in my living room now that I give it more thought. hmm...
Ray
Doing the mock-ups is the right idea. That way you will know for sure what works and what you like.
Good luck.