Sump Pump Question
How long should they last? Mine is about 8-10 years old. It'll kick on when it's should but won't shut off. What do I check to see it's salvageable?

Jim
Jim
I presume your sump pump is controlled by a float switch; when the water level comes up, the pump switches on then switches back off when the float switch drops again below the "off level".

The first thing I would do is open the sump cover and see if I could watch it happen and determine if that switch is hanging up on the downstroke.  You might need to provide test conditions by dumping buckets of water into the sump to see it happen.

You might find that the sump pump has shifted some and now the float switch is being impinged somehow.

Other causes:  Is there a vertical lift in the discharge plumbing?  I once had a failure of a check valve in a vertical discharge pipe that allowed the water to flow back into the sump, causing the pump to run a lot.  What I thought was a pump problem was actually a check valve problem.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
(03-21-2023, 10:24 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: How long should they last?

I get this kind of question all the time inspecting houses. The question doesn't have an answer.

How long do Furnaces last
How long do heat pumps last..

I tell them heat pumps usually last between 10 and 18 years... Mine is 29 years old The one at our last house lasted almost 6 years.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Sump pumps do seem like one of those things that will "work until it doesn't."  The brown water grinder pump in the basement was about 16 years old when I replaced it.  The other four (!) sump pumps are original to the house and work fine.  Those pumps are for ground water control; one in the basement and the other three in basement egress window wells.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
(03-21-2023, 11:46 AM)R Clark Wrote: I presume your sump pump is controlled by a float switch; when the water level comes up, the pump switches on then switches back off when the float switch drops again below the "off level".

The first thing I would do is open the sump cover and see if I could watch it happen and determine if that switch is hanging up on the downstroke.  You might need to provide test conditions by dumping buckets of water into the sump to see it happen.

You might find that the sump pump has shifted some and now the float switch is being impinged somehow.

Other causes:  Is there a vertical lift in the discharge plumbing?  I once had a failure of a check valve in a vertical discharge pipe that allowed the water to flow back into the sump, causing the pump to run a lot.  What I thought was a pump problem was actually a check valve problem.

This is your answer- ot at least it will lead you to the answer

If you need a new pump get a Zoeller, mine is over 10 yrs old with no problems, I replaced a top-of-the-line pump from Home Depot that quit after two years.
Im sure these are the same people that have said they got no problem eating cats and dogs but shreek like little girls at the sight of an octopus.jonzz 12/17/13
I have a Myers pump that has been in for 10 years I replaced a hydromatic that was in for 40 years and still was working.
(03-23-2023, 10:16 AM)splinter7612 Wrote: If you need a new pump get a Zoeller, mine is over 10 yrs old with no problems, I replaced a top-of-the-line pump from Home Depot that quit after two years.

I 2nd the Zoeller.
My house has had 3 sump pumps since 1980.

I cant remember if mine died before I replaced it or I got the idea that it probably was going to go soon enough and I should head off the flood.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

If your pump starts at high level but does not shut off at low level there are simple checks you can make to decide where the issue is.
Most likely your pump has shifted in the sump . This is common as brackets rust and get weak and the start and stop torque will walk it arouund in the sump.
When that happens the float sometimes can come into contact with the sump wall or other obstructions and get hung up.
So why does it start and not stop most likely the float is stuck a little. The rising water level creates enough force on the float to lift it past the obstruction. When the water level drops the float drops and gets hung up again BUT it gets stuck above the off trip level and the dead weight of the float is not enough to push through. The simple test is to simply push the float down with a wooden stick . If the float drops some and the pumps shuts off just relacate your pump in the sump so the float has free movement up and down as it once didd when it worked.
Simple test to possibly find a simple no cost fix.
calabrese55