New cabriole challenge (updated)
(New comment below)

I have a request for cabriole legs that are very curved.  This will be for an executive desk, 30x60. Material is hard maple. 

I understand the basics of cabriole legs but have yet to make one.  I'm excited about the challenge of learning something new.

To make legs with exaggerated curves, what advice would you offer?  Of course I need to find drawings to create templates and I'll need to glue up stock to make blanks big enough. 

Picture is along the lines of what is desired.

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

Maybe experiment with a small scale like 1/3.  A 30" high leg will be 10".  5x5 stock will be  roughly 1-11/16" square.  That should big enough to experiment with.
Glue-ups have a tendency to show streaking where grain patterns differ.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  Definitely doesn't look like what I would consider an executive desk to look like. 

Anyway, I would look for solid, riftsawn stock.  If you have to glue up stock then you still want rift sawn.  With rift sawn the grain will look the same from one side to the next.  With plain or quarter sawn, the grain will alternate between plain and quarter sawn on each adjacent face.  Not attractive at all.  

John
It seems like a bent laminate glue up would give you the most strength, although the glue lines could be a visual concern. With a dark stain, like in the picture, they might be hidden. It would allow you to do slightly thinner legs without concern of them breaking.

Tyler
(03-21-2023, 04:24 PM)OneStaple Wrote: It seems like a bent laminate glue up would give you the most strength, although the glue lines could be a visual concern. With a dark stain, like in the picture, they might be hidden. It would allow you to do slightly thinner legs without concern of them breaking.

Tyler

Yeah I'd be concerned about the grain run-out in such a delicate piece. Definitely designed by an artist, not an engineer. Bent laminations would certainly be stronger.
(03-21-2023, 03:13 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  Definitely doesn't look like what I would consider an executive desk to look like...

I can see that as a fancy lady's desk, and don't find it 'unattractive'.  But first thing that comes to mind is a cleaning crew breaking a leg the first time they drag it across the floor.  I'd be concerned enough about the design to pass on the job.
Thanks for the tips, folks!

Yup, she wants a very feminine looking desk for her home office.  "Executive" just refers to the size--30x60.

I have talked to her about the issues brought up.  We're gonna go with 4x4 solid stock and cut them thicker than the image above for strength. 

Thanks again!
Semper fi,
Brad

If you're going with solid stock, steam bending might be a good option for preserving strength (and allow legs that aren't too chunky). I don't have a lot of experience with that though. You'd need a form to get consistent results, and wood that plays nicely with bending.

Tyler
I think steam bending is cool but it's not in the cards in my shop just yet.
Semper fi,
Brad

(03-21-2023, 01:37 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: (New comment below)

I have a request for cabriole legs that are very curved.  This will be for an executive desk, 30x60. Material is hard maple. 

I understand the basics of cabriole legs but have yet to make one.  I'm excited about the challenge of learning something new.

To make legs with exaggerated curves, what advice would you offer?  Of course I need to find drawings to create templates and I'll need to glue up stock to make blanks big enough. 

Picture is along the lines of what is desired.

With updated information that I've given the customer, she has asked about the possibility of what I'm calling a multiple-leg-cabriole-leg.  With four 3x3 blanks the leg will be chunky, which is actually what she wants--not thin. 

She's aware each assembly will be made of four pieces, so the grain won't match *perfectly*.

Time to throw some 2x4's together and mock it up.

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad