WTB: 4x4x36 hard maple blanks
I need four straight grained blanks for making cabriole legs but cannot find any bigger than 3.5" square. 

Got any?
Semper fi,
Brad

(03-22-2023, 10:24 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I need four straight grained blanks for making cabriole legs but cannot find any bigger than 3.5" square. 

Got any?

Do you mind if they are curly? I am not sure about the straight-grained part.

If curly is okay, then there is a good chance that Dunlap Woodcraft would have what you need. They are over close to Dulles airport.

They are great people to deal with. I visit them whenever I can to go through their cutoff bin. Giving them a call could save you a trip.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Second the motion on Dunlap. Good folks.
Gotta be careful though. They have a bunch of really nice stuff
Smile
These need to be straight to match the aprons but I'll give them a call. 

Thanks!
Semper fi,
Brad

Just a suggestion to call Exotic Hardwood in Annapolis off Rt. 50.
(03-22-2023, 10:24 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I need four straight grained blanks for making cabriole legs but cannot find any bigger than 3.5" square. 

Got any?

Osborne makes all kinds of table legs.  They might sell you some blanks.  

John

Got any?

If'n the other ideas closer to you do not work out, might want to check Hearne Hardwoods in Nottingham, PA, just over the MD border on US1.  They are a full-service sawmill, kiln, and tool purveyor, with massive stacks of lumber to sort through including monstrous slabs and exotics.  Several years ago I bought a 5-foot 4X6 chunk of straight-grain walnut to make gun stocks there, plus some prime mahogany to make end tables matching an ancient sleigh-bed bedroom set and miscellaneous pieces of cherry.

Up the road from there in Quarryville is Groff & Groff, a similar outfit (and prior partners with Hearne).  I once toured their facility but only came home with a few cutoffs.

Either way, as someone suggested, go to these with blinders on or a tight grip on the credit card!

Gary
I've got what I think is an 8' 4x10 HM blank. I'll have to ck the size again.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(03-23-2023, 11:09 AM)joe1086 Wrote: Just a suggestion to call Exotic Hardwood in Annapolis off Rt. 50.

I'm sure he could get them but he's pricey.

A longer drive but Hicksville Planing Mill north-west of Hagerstown can mill some. They'll be a good bit cheaper but the fuel to get there may not be worth the drive. They're a Mennonite owned business so no web page and they don't advertise. Make sure you know their hours of operation. (301) 842-3474. Might take a few tries on the phone. If they're busy, they don't answer.

If you've never been there, it might be worth the trip. Pretty impressive.

[Image: oTCrgnI.png]

This is just one building of several

[Image: KVIdgD9.jpg]
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Hicksville Mill is where I go to get all my lumber.  It's two hours away, but half the price of local so it's worth the trip, especially when I buy a few hundred bf at a time.  

I'll head out his way to get the stock for this and pick up lumber for the next table.
Semper fi,
Brad