Shopsmith disc sander
What is the RPM range Shopsmith uses for their disc sanding feature?

Tom
Disc Sander Speed Chart
Grit Hardwood Softwood
Coarse (60#) D - 1050 rpm E - 1150 rpm
Medium (80#) F - 1300 rpm G - 1450 rpm
Fine(100#) G - 1450 rpm H - 1600 rpm
"It requires a poor mind to only know one way to spell a word."
(03-23-2023, 03:04 PM)ArkieRed Wrote: Disc Sander Speed Chart
Grit                 Hardwood Softwood
Coarse (60#) D - 1050 rpm E - 1150 rpm
Medium (80#) F - 1300 rpm G - 1450 rpm
Fine(100#) G - 1450 rpm H - 1600 rpm

Thank you so much for your answer. I usually prefer 80 grit but I can also do 100 grit because I will have two discs. I was just over to my shop and the motor is 1725 RPM so it looks like I will only have to buy one pully.

Tom
For those who haven't been reading in this section lately. I took the top off from a Craftsman shaper and put an older Woodpecker lift under it. It fits a PC 7518 router which I have. I got the lift from a Woodneter several years ago.. The guy I got the shaper from had changed out the motor to an older Delta reversible 3/4 HP motor.  I have a Shopsmith and a couple of sanding discs.  Today I ordered a couple of pillow block bearings, Anyway all that is needed is a table to mount the stuff on to make a double disc sander. I have an other 12 disc sander that I can do angled work on so this one will just be a flat 90 degree sander.

Tom
On my old 10er Shopsmith, I run the discs fairly slow (variable speed) Est about 1500 rpm.
Really like a 12" disc for sanding on my 10er Shopsmith. Being able to clamp wood to table and advance disc into wood, is nice for sanding pieces to same length. Just set the quill stop. Shopsmith, a machine so many people poo poo. With cabinet saw, big ras, bs, jointer, planer, drill press, oss spindle/belt sander, I still keep the 10er Shopsmith. Use for lathe, horizontal drilling, grinding wheel (slow speed for sharpening), and 12" disc sander.
The Shopsmith excells when needing to drill a precise hole in the end of a piece of wood. Especially a long piece!
The 10er is a well made cast iron machine. And usually under $200 when I see them for sale.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
I have a Totalshop. CI version import. While i have enough tools to replace it i just can't bring myself to let it go. All the reasons you listed are my go to.
Roger

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of Jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your rear tomorrow.

9-11 Never forget
(03-25-2023, 07:13 PM)firefighter Wrote: I have a Totalshop. CI version import. While i have enough tools to replace it i just can't bring myself to let it go. All the reasons you listed are my go to.

Since this post seems to be taking a turn I think I will add a little more information. I started wood working seriously in 1973. I bought a Shopsmith Mark 5 in 1975. Then I took off and never looked back.  I won't bother you on why I  had to sell it. I now have dedicated machines, none of which are bench tops and I have also purchased another Shopsmith. While I think the Shopsmith is weak in every discipline it still comes in handy. And quite frankly there is no other machine on the market that will do horizontal drilling or angle drilling as the mater goes. In fact Woodpeckers sells a drilling fixture for angled hole drilling for over $300 that Shopsmith can do just as good and has a much faster set up time. 

I do think Shopsmith has tried to over come a lot of their machines short comings, so they are stronger than their predecessors . If you do not have a lot of room or have plenty of room I think Shopsmith could be a very nice acquisition.

Tom