Veritas version of the Record 043
(06-07-2023, 11:15 AM)ChuckL2 Wrote: I haven't used any Veritas plow-plane, but I'm curious about them.  Would you expect the Veritas box-maker's and small plow-planes to be equally capable of cutting groves and dados?  Would the additional size and weight of the small plow-plane be an advantage or disadvantage?  When would you prefer to use one over the other the other?

I think the advantage of the box maker's plow is it's shorter length.  When you're making grooves on short boards, the shorter length is an advantage.  Otherwise, you need something to stabilize the back half of the longer plow plane they already sell.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I don't have any Veritas ploughs, just (in order from delicate to beefy) a Record 043, Record 044 and Stanley 43 (Millers patent.)
If you still have ox powered arms, the stanley 43 will power through deep, long runs at a crazy rate.
For shorter runs and shallower cuts I like the 043.
The height of the 044 and stanley 43 do make it easier to gauge and maintain plumb - but this doesn't matter so much with the shallower cuts I use the 043 for.
Make your wood sing!
One thing I found strange was that in the Lee Valley page, they show the plane being used to create beading on the edge of a board. Yet, the beading blade is sold separately. Their combo plane comes with a beading blade, but you have to search for the beading blade to buy one individually. The only blade that comes with the small plow is a 1/4" blade.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill