I want a new drill press table
I have wanted a new drill press table for years.  The original table is just not designed at all for woodworking.  All those sloped ribs under there make it almost impossible to clamp anything down.   I have an old delta 16 1/2" floor standing model.  A very basic machine where you have to manually change the belts to adjust the speed.  I have considered making my own table and then I look at the commercial ones and I waiver back and forth.  At one point somebody paid me a little bit for a job I did for them and I decided I was going to use it toward a Woodpecker's model that I had been eying.  But being as cheap as I am I decided to wait for it to go on sale because they seem to cycle through every item about once per year.  Although their sales are never very big ones.  So finally one day it went on sale.  I added it to my cart and then went to check out and then got the sticker shock.  I think it was $35-40 to ship it.  So I gave up and kept using the original table.  Then I saw Rockler had one that didn't look too bad for $160.  I didn't do anything right away.  No impulse purchases here.  But now I just got a coupon from Rockler for 20% off any one item AND free shipping.  I was tempted.  So I went and looked at the Woodpecker version again.  It is still much more expensive (aren't all Woddpecker products) at $250 but it comes with a couple knuckled hold downs and 6 stops to use with the fence.  But now they have a cheaper shipping alternative at $17.  Or I could spend a few hours and make my own.  Uuugghhh.  So many decisions.  Any advice?  Give me a push in some direction so I can end my frustration.

1.  Rockler Drill Press Table and Fence - Rockler    very reasonably priced at 128 after the discount
2.  Complete Woodpeckers Drill Press Table Package-3    250 +17 = 267
3.  Get off my rear end and build one (I do have some extruded aluminum 80/20 lying around that might make a good fence.)

Edit to update that apparently the Rockler coupon cannot be used on this item. That is frustrating. So the Rockler is 160 with free shipping.
Build your own.  They are not that complicated as you already know.  You can put all the features you want so that it will do what you want it to do.
Make sure you allow for all the operational features of the DP to function with the table in place, ie, the height adjustment, spindle handles, etc.
Consider an easily replaced sacrificial insert, you will drill through it, sooner or later(!).  Adjustable fence, adjustable side stop, light, dust/chip collection,
the list is endless!

JMHO.

Big Grin
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
(03-27-2023, 05:29 PM)BrentDH Wrote: I have wanted a new drill press table for years.  The original table is just not designed at all for woodworking.  All those sloped ribs under there make it almost impossible to clamp anything down.   I have an old delta 16 1/2" floor standing model.  A very basic machine where you have to manually change the belts to adjust the speed.  I have considered making my own table and then I look at the commercial ones and I waiver back and forth.  At one point somebody paid me a little bit for a job I did for them and I decided I was going to use it toward a Woodpecker's model that I had been eying.  But being as cheap as I am I decided to wait for it to go on sale because they seem to cycle through every item about once per year.  Although their sales are never very big ones.  So finally one day it went on sale.  I added it to my cart and then went to check out and then got the sticker shock.  I think it was $35-40 to ship it.  So I gave up and kept using the original table.  Then I saw Rockler had one that didn't look too bad for $160.  I didn't do anything right away.  No impulse purchases here.  But now I just got a coupon from Rockler for 20% off any one item AND free shipping.  I was tempted.  So I went and looked at the Woodpecker version again.  It is still much more expensive (aren't all Woddpecker products) at $250 but it comes with a couple knuckled hold downs and 6 stops to use with the fence.  But now they have a cheaper shipping alternative at $17.  Or I could spend a few hours and make my own.  Uuugghhh.  So many decisions.  Any advice?  Give me a push in some direction so I can end my frustration.

1.  Rockler Drill Press Table and Fence - Rockler    very reasonably priced at 128 after the discount
2.  Complete Woodpeckers Drill Press Table Package-3    250 +17 = 267
3.  Get off my rear end and build one (I do have some extruded aluminum 80/20 lying around that might make a good fence.)

Drill and countersink two holes in the table. Cut a piece of plywood the size of the table. Clamp the plywood to the underside and screw thru the table into the plywood. You only need two holes opposite each other. Now you have a solid place to clamp. I did this to an old Craftsman DP. I also marked the table slots and cut the slots in the plywood with a router.  Often I use the slots to install finger clamps.
mike
Easy to make your own as others have said. Mine is a rectangular piece of MDF with T-Track in the bottom, then same size rectangle glued to it with T-Track in the top (glue and cut to size first). The T-Track in the bottom piece contains bolts that then run through slots in the original table with washer and knobs attaching to the table. The T-Track on top holds the fence and and can also be used for clamps.
Yup...build it. I've made 2 (so far), 2 layers of 3/4 particle board glued & screwed. Bottom layer is one piece, top layer is 4 pieces so I can have a square replacable insert.
Trim with hardwood and put a laminate top on. I dado them for incra t-track & use an incra fence.

Need to make another for the Delta 17" I bought last fall. Not sure on the design yet as this machine is used for metal more than wood.

Yes, factory tables are a pita to clamp to.

Ed
10 years ago, I would have advised you to build your own table as others did, but not now. You can find several drill press tables (2 sizes for the veritas) at lee valley tools at cheaper prices lower than rockler and wp. Amazon also has many drill presses.

If you spend 2 hours (at least) plus materials (split fences, table, etc., you wouldn't be saving much from building your own drill press table.

Simon
(03-28-2023, 12:20 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: 10 years ago, I would have advised you to build your own table as others did, but not now. You can find several drill press tables (2 sizes for the veritas) at lee valley tools at cheaper prices lower than rockler and wp. Amazon also has many drill presses.

If you spend 2 hours (at least) plus materials (split fences, table, etc., you wouldn't be saving much from building your own drill press table.

Simon

Agreed, and usually what I do nowadays.  Unless it's for a very specific purpose.  And even then you can probably 'customize' a store bought one and be $$ ahead.
Build it...and customize to your liking.  I added a drawer that holds every drill bit I can possibly use at the DP.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I have the Woodpecker version linked above, highly recommended
I've had the one below for 20+ years now and it does all I need. Several versions to choose from. Mine is the basic model with the aluminum fence. Their shipping charges are also very reasonable IMO.

Peachtree Woodworking Drill Press Table

Doug