Japanese chisels
Colleagues: I have 10 or 12 Japanese chisels that need to find a good home. Believe they were purchased in the late 80’s/early 90’s from Japan Woodworker, Almeda CA. Age and the resulting physical maladies are taking a toll.

Problem is trying to set a value. Any ideas that might be helpful?
That can be challenging, as a lot depends on the maker, and there are tons of makers in Japan. For your sake, the hope would be that you can identify the maker and they're well respected/known. Given that they came from Japan Woodworker, you at least have a shot at the "known" part.

Do they have maker's marks (in Kanji, or Japanese characters) on them? You could post pictures of the chisels and close ups of the symbols and hope that someone recognizes them. It's also possible to try to look up translations for symbols with some online tools, but I've usually found that very difficult and rarely helpful (I've mostly done it with Japanese kitchen knives).

Values can be all over the place, from a couple dollars per chisel for "well loved" ones from unrecognized makes, to hundreds of dollars per chisel for premium makers.

With some pictures, hopefully others here with expertise on these can help with specific price suggestions.

Tyler
There is also a Facebook group dedicated to Japanese tools. You might find that quicker to identify the maker.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
There is a Facebook group dedicated to Japanese tools. It might be quicker to use that to identify the maker.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
If you know the original cost, that is a good starting point. 

If the set was thousands to purchase, hopefully it's a good set. If it was bought for $100., you'll probably pass along a nice deal to someone.

Sent PM
Gents: thanks for the information.
Ray,  I remember going through their catalog years ago, and did buy a few chisels.  My recollection is that there was a very steep difference between the chisels they offered as their house brand, and ones with named makers - but not sure how you would be able to tell the difference now if you don't have some receipts ,  or label on the handle.  You might want to search for an old catalog -  I found this one from 2018  https://archive.org/details/TheJapanWood...6/mode/2up
BarryVABeach: Thanks! Your post brought back some memories. I recall the house brands and the high end chisels and kitchen knives. I do not recall spending a great deal of money on chisels  -- about US $25-30/35.00 back in the late 80's/early 90's. Was fun looking through the catalogue and their inventory had really increased by the 2018 catalogue date. I was last in the store just before we moved from CA to WA in 2001. Always had some interesting tools to view. 

So far, no luck trying to identify the makers. Would like to sell all 10 or 12 as a package. Will take pictures and measure the widths for a forum member who expressed an interest. If he doesn't want them, there is another here who expressed interest. Thanks again.
Ray,  I loved going through those catalogs,  the photos and descriptions were great, I bought a few chisels, and a few of the knives.